Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help - Emerald set-up

Mole

I've just connected my new Emerald ECU and EU3 loom adaptor and have two problems that I seem unable to resolve:

1. The tacho doesn't work - not a flicker! The "live adjustments" screen shows rpm, but the tacho shows nothing. No history of tacho problems and everything appears to be OK. Tacho is standard dial type (not Stack) and does not have the shift light wired.

2. I can't get the ECU to learn the immobiliser code. It goes to "active - learning" and just sticks there. Never gets to "active - disarmed" like the manual says! No history of immob. problems. The manual shows pin 13 as immobiliser input - pin 13 on my loom adaptor has nothing connected. If this is the problem, does anyone know which pin on the EU3 connector corresponds?

All help appreciated!

SV 52 CAT the mole is hibernating

Having now tested the oily's theory - unfortunately it is possible to start the engine whatever the state of the immobiliser which make me think that the it must need to interact with the ECU even on EU3 engines.

Mole,

There may be some residual fuel pressure in the fuel rail which allows the engine to run for a short while, it doesnt consume much at idle, see if you can hear the fuel pump prime when the immobiliser is on. If you can then the immobilser does need to interact, if the pump doesnt prime then it is the external type.

Oily

I had the same immobiliser problem when I installed an Emerald into my EU3 K - it turned out to be a fault in the ECU. Once Karl at Emerald had fixed it the immobiliser worked exactly as described.

The EU3 immobilser works in the same way as an EU2 - the same external immobiliser unit is used on both setups - my old EU3 immobiliser is now attached to an EU2 K-series metro... If you want to get running then you should be able to just disable the immobiliser functionality until you get the ecu fixed.

I had no problems driving the current spec tacho with the Emerald - the EU3 loom uses a dedicated pulse output from the ecu to drive it, I'm not sure how this is handled by the adapter loom that you are using - I'd check to see if the tacho pulses are making it through to the grey multiplug between the chassis and engine looms, or even if there is continuity back to the appropriate pin on the ecu connector.

I have come to the conclusion (probably obvious) that the immobiliser problem is down to there being nothing connected to pin 13 (immobilizer input) on the EU3 adaptor for the Emerald. Since this seems such an obvious ommission, I assume that there must be a reason for it. I've e-mailed Oily and Karl at Emerald but have yet to hear back. I'll post something when I do.

Edited by - mole on 25 Mar 2003 08:54:00