Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Build - Throttle Cable length and adjustment

CtrMint

Evening All,

Today is going a little better with lots of finishing touches being added to the engine bay.  I've got to the point of adding the throttle cable.   As expected in lots of documentation it seems very long for the application.  I understand the recommendation in the manual is to bend the throttle pedal.   However I've seen alternative approaches where the end is trimmed and a cable stops fitted.

I wonder if members would give me their opinion on the best approach.

Thanks

I'm going to need that one explaining - something tightening as it gets warmer . . . and expands . . . ;-)

Double check the operation/relationship of the pedal, cable, attachment into the pedal box - if the cable is being dragged over an edge as the pedal moves, or forced to bend at the attachment to the pedal, its not going to last long.  Nice smooth arc of operation, no forced bends is the way to go.

I'm still on the original, no wear visible, cable after 17 yrs of pretty continuous use.

The explaining - differential expansion of materials - various materials in the path where the cable runs and is clamped (plastic plenum, aluminium throttle body, steel cable, spiral steel outer cable with polymer coating). It may not be the same on all cars due to variation in config, but on my R400D the material differential expansion causes the inner throttle cable to tighten relative to the outer, when the engine bay temp goes from 15°C to 50°C or more.

That's normally the beauty of a bowden cable - that sort of thing pretty much self-compensates out if it's fastened sensibly. The inner would tend to lengthen - assuming your temp rise, by 0.000455 x the original length rather than shorten.  I certainly don't tend to consider it in normal design job until much higher temps.

But no matter - some slack is good - allows the throttle to sit on the mechanical stop rather than rely on the cable, which is probably why I've never found it a problem.

And good smooth arcs of operation as mentioned.

I haven't looked at the Bowden cable liner on my throttle cable, but the coefficient of linear thermal expansion of a PTFE liner would be 0.000125 per degree C (inside a spiral wound steel outer which would provide little resistance to it's expansion, compared with 0.000012 for the steel inner cable. Any plastic liner will have a linear thermal expansion coefficient in the range of 100 x 10^-6 m/m/K, approximately 8 times that of steel.