Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll bars v cages

jonathantennantbtinternet

Is a FIA with petty strut sufficient for mot sport or do I need a complete cage ?

I looked at the Caterham Grads series and it all sounds a bit vague ?

5.3 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:

5.3.1  All cars must conform to the general and competition regulations of the MSA which define minimum safety requirements for racing purposes. All cars must conform to these regulations before they can be accepted for either racing or official practice. Refer to the MSA Yearbook sections K and Q Safety Requirements.

5.3.2  All cars

(i)  Caterham supplied rollover protection shall be fitted without modification and must be bolted, not welded, in place. 

Roll cages are required fitment on all Grads classes except Classics.  Classics can use an FIA rollover bar with petty strut:

5.3.3    Caterham  Super-Graduates, Sigma-Graduates, SigMax-Graduates and Mega-Graduates Classes:
(v) A Caterham supplied rollover cage (Caterham part number 79131, T, U, UX or UXT) shall be fitted.  Caterham R300/R400 style rollover cages are not permitted.

5.3.4    Caterham Classic Graduates Class:
(i) A Caterham supplied rollover bar must be fitted without modification and must be bolted, not welded, in place. The removable strut bracing the top of the rollover bar down to a point immediately beneath the scuttle on the passeger's side of the car is mandatory.
(ii) A Caterham supplied rollover cage can be fitted in place of the rollover bar and is strongly recommended.  When a rollover cage is fitted a Caterham supplied side impact protection brace  is  strongly  recommended.

I think all current Classics drivers have full cages. I would certainly recommend one if you're thinking of taking it seriously.

If you still think the regs are a bit vague, let us know how we can improve them!