Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Accusump

p.mole1

Has anyone got any photo's of one fitted. I have the  2 litre  version. I have been suffering oil surge with Avon ZT5 on  track days so I want to install  this before I fit Toyo 888'S. Sump is fitted with the  foam baffle and was up to the max on the dip stick. The engine seems good it has over 45 psi on idle and 70 psi above 3000 rpm hot.

I am using a sandwich plate with a non return valve and a electric solenoid with a pressure switch set at 40 psi. I couldn't get hold of an Apollo system and I can't work out how it helps if the oil pump is starved of oil, will the pressure not drop to zero? I didn't think an oil pump would be able to pressurize air.

Your posting is rather confusing and I am not sure what you are trying to say.

However I can tell you that an Apollo Tank system has no effect on reducing oil surge caused by cornering forces, it is a system for filtering out air bubbles from the engine oil caused by windage.

If you are installing a Accusump System this will have a positive effect on reducing oil surge as it is designed to release oil stored at pressure back into the engines oilways when there is a fall in pressure.  The solenoid supplied with this system is normaly connected to the starter key switch and will release stored pressurised oil into the engine whilst the engine is cranked.

The normal installation position for the Accusump is to fix it on top of the scuttle tray.

I would remove the sump foam at the earliest oppertunity, I have seen it break up and am not sure what its purpose is.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks, I did try and get hold of an Apollo tank but as you state when I looked into the installation instructions it became clear that does supply pressurized oil during surge conditions. I couldn't get the Accusump to fit on the scuttle panel as I have a heater, essential in Northumberland. I may be able to get it to fit if I mount the solenoid remotely.

A few months ago I made a similar comment about Apollo's not doing anything for surge. The feedback I received was that a secondary benefit of an Apollo is that it provides a short term oil reserve that gives some oil under surge conditions. A downside or tertiary benefit depending on what you need is that it can cool oil.

I think the sump foam is supposed to do a similar job to a poor man's Apollo i.e. filter out bubbles. I eventually permanently removed mine even though mine was always in good condition when replaced during servicing. I felt it was only a matter of time before things went wrong and that the damage caused by clogged oilways would be a lot worse than the damage that good foam may prevent.