Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing scuttle - R500D

justcallmemac

• Leadership Team

Steve

Do you really need to remove the scuttle to do that?  I find there's quite a bit of access to the immobiliser by accessing it from under the dash; if you unbolt it from the bulkhead (two bolts) and snip the relevant cable ties it comes out a longish way into the cabin.  5 minutes to get the box free from the car, though still attached by the harness, but at least you have access to work on that, or to open the box and be able to work on that instead.

Can I ask - why are you replacing it?  There may be some alternatives to what you're trying to do.

James

IMHO a removable scuttle is a really useful 'upgrade' as it enables easy access to the wiring loom, switches, dials etc without having to turn yourself into a contortionist.

On my 1993 aeroscreened car it was simply a case of:

1. drill out the 24 rivets on the bulkhead

2. If you have knee trim panels then drill out those rivets too.

3. the front bulkhead is probably fixed at the bottom with sealant, remove

4. Undo the 4 nuts that hold the scuttle on the chassis

5. remove the 2 screws that hold the 2 central popper bases that are used for the tonneau cover

6. BTW if you have a battery master switch disconnect the battery before removing the switch from the scuttle

7. Scuttle should now lift off easily with aeroscreen still attached

refitting is easier as you'll replace the rivets on the bulkhead with just 12 rivnuts (I think I used M4s) and use self-tappers to refit the knee trim panels.

Taking the scuttle off is now a 5 minute job *thumb_up*

Yes, 12 rivnuts are fine, basically every other rivet. I even reckon you could get away with as few as 6 really. The scuttle and bulkhead are going nowhere *smile*

Just to add, if you have a windscreen this can still be done but remember to disconnect the wires for the heated screen and drop the wiper spindles.