Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer nose weight

Silverback

Having thought I had mastered most of the skills needed to be confident trailering my 7 to Dunsfold tomorrow I seem to have stumbled upon the thorny subject of getting the nose weight distribution right.

I have hired a BJ CT4 trailer (with integrated front tyre rack which I won't be using) but don't have a set of scales or nose weight gauge to accurately measure.

Other than loading the 7 on front forward and being prepared to adjust forward/rewards on the journey, are there any other recommendations for loading the 7 (R400 SV) and placing it correctly on the trailer for the journey in the morning?

Thanks

Matthew

Short pendulum length - higher natural oscillation frequency - less likelihood of getting into a resonant harmonic cycle of swinging (snaking). Of all the cars I have trailered, the 7 is the one which sets the trailer CofG furthest back causing it to be more prone to low frequency oscillation.

It's a bit of a fallacy that higher nose weight can be a cure for snaking. It is the moving of weight forward which increases the natural resonant frequency (shorter pendulum) which keeps the car and trailer out of phase. The act of moving weight forwards has a side effect of increasing noseweight.