Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlight topic continued

Andy Lef

No major issues to report. They are very good units, now at a much lower price than I paid.

The wiring is straightforward, you end up having to clip the wire going form the H4 socket to the original sidelight holder, then putting a spade receptacle on instead. That then connects to the sidelight flylead on the JWS unit.

I haven't had any heat problems, they put out far less heat than a halogen anyway and seem to handle it.

You reuse the clips to hold the unit into the surround, but take your time, they are fiddly and need to be sited in exactly the right places to secure the fatter unit properly. I also had to cut a little off the tab opposite the surround screw, so that it doesn't foul on the JWS unit body, which as I say is thicker than the old reflector.

It's worth wrapping the H4 socket etc in a bit of foam tape to stop it whacking around inside the bowl. The rattling noise can be loud and probably will damage stuff over time if allowed to happen. Obviously the connectors were originally fixed onto the bulbs, now they are in the middle of flying leads effectively.

MOT was not a problem, the units are E-marked behind the lens, plus the beam pattern is textbook for a change.

Enjoy the massive improvement in lighting *thumbup*

Martyn