Click here if you are having website access problems ×

crankshaft auxiliary pulley removal

Martin

Can anyone tell me if the crankshaft auxiliary pulley stud is a left hand thread as i am really struggling to get this out. If it makes any difference this is a vauxhall 1600 8 valve engine...thanks Martin

Are you talking about the crank pulley bolt (the big bugger in the centre of the pulley) ? If so, it will be a normal r/h thread. It will be very tight and you will need to lock the crank and probably use some tube slipped over the normal length tooling used.

Good luck

Confession time.  I once loosened said bolt on a K series inadvertently.

Car wouldn't start and for some reason I forget I'd used a socket and ratchet handle to turn the engine over by hand.  Forgetting I'd left this on the bolt I then hit the starter button!!!!!!

Nothing nasty happened thankfully, no loud noises etc.  But as the handle was resting on the cruciform it worked perfectly to loosen the bolt.

Should you consider this option please ensure you disable the engine from firing or you WILL regret it and only hit the starter button very briefly.

Thanks for the replies and with a little perseverance i have managed to loosen the big bolt in the middle of the crank pulley. ..i now just waiting for the new cam belt to arrive before i remove the old one...thankyou for your responses..Martin

Thanks for that bob, i did ask redline what i needed to replace when changing the cambelt, i was thinking water pump, automatic tensioner and crankshaft pulley bolt but they said should be okay just changing the belt. Its never been changed before, 20000 miles and 14 years old but you got me thinking now. Think i might go and get a bolt, it looks ok but so does the belt. .have you got vauxhall 1600 8 valve, i new to being caterham owner and any advice would be very much appreciated...Cheers Martin