Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone turbo'd or supercharged a bec?

AdC

In LF this month, there's a nice article about Ferrino's R1 (now Ivaans). Great car.

At the end there was a comment about the potential of turbo-charging and I'm just wondering if anyone's done it and would care to comment on the pro's and con's, likely costs etc. If you've started looking Ivaan, I'd be interested to know more. Just dreaming really, but it may be something I'd like to do to my JW Fireblade. Thanks.

TTS Performance supply a kit including a Rotrex supercharger for the Hayabusa that will give 400bhp+ however, by the time you have upgraded the engines internals and added the cost of an intercooler, plenum chamber etc it comes to around £11.5K. Big power Busa engines fitted with forced induction compete in the British Hillclimb Championship however, the life expectancy of the engine is short!

True, Ray, but I like my little 919 (like Saladin's scimitar as opposed to Richards 'Hayabusa'), and don't want to change JW's car too much. However, the meddling amateur is strong in me at the moment; I'm just curious to see if I could get a bit more (reliable) 'oomph' out of mine. I'll chat to Holeshot next week and see what they say, but I'm wondering if it's a road to constant rebuilds and fettling and never quite getting it sorted...

Talking to Andy Bates it was suggested that I could ditch the dry sump as it wasn't necessary on my current setup, saving a few kg's, which is always welcome (404kgs with 10 litres of fuel at the mo'), although that was before I alighted on the idea of turbocharging...