Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Rollbar, boot cover and imperial on metric

thompster

Hi, 

I've found lots of simillar threads on this but none that tell me exactly what I want to know.

I'm changing the rollcage on my 2006 model year (07 plate) S3 to a roll bar.  I thought it was an imperial but the engine bay has the short corner braces instead of long diagonals so I'm pretty sure its metric.

Question 1) Can I fit an imperial roll bar in a metric chassis?  I know the reverse works if you pack out the locating holes with washers but does it work this way around?

Question 2) If I fit a single diagonal bar in place of a Caged double-D cage will I have to change the boot cover?

Ta.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

thought I'd bump this up just in case anyone knows the answer but missed it before.  I was planning to buy an imperial single diagonal rollbar from another member but have realised I have a metric chassis.  I'm pretty sure the imperial bar mounting 'bushes' will be too long for the wells on the metric chassis.  Unless anyone knows differently (also re the boot cover) I'll drop the seller a line and apologise and probably buy a new metric one from CC (if they ever have any stock of course). 

Cheers, James.

• Area Representative

James - another very easy check on whether you have a metric chassis or not is to look at the chassis bar immediately behind the rear wheel. If it's all round its an imperial chassis, metric chassis has a square front section going to a round tube. 

With regards an imperial bar fitting a metric chassis, it isn't possible for the reason you have given

Nick

Thanks all.  I originally looked at the rear chassis rail to determine whether it was metric or imperial but didn't look far enough forward and got it wrong. My engine engine bay doesn't have the long diagonals in it and instead has short corner diagonal braces so I'm sure its metric.

I think am 'X' trackday bar will go with the boot cover I have now ('X'/double D cage) so I'll track down one of those.  No stock at CC so I've posted a wanted ad.  I recall reading about people going straight to Caged so i might try that too,

cheers,

James.