Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Number plate light earth

tomperkins

My number plate light's not working (common issue I know). The live feed is fine and if I plug a wire to the unused earth terminal inside the light and touch that on either of the rivets holding the light unit to the chassis, the lights come on.

So my question is this... Has anyone got any advice on how to make a new earth connection? The light unit is riveted to the chassis and I don't really want to have to drill out and replace the rivets. Is it worth wiring the earth terminal to an earth point used by another of the rear lights as it seems the earth through the rivets is a regular problem?

As always, any thoughts appreciated!

Can't recall for certain. I took the new wire to the passenger-side light cluster and almost-certainly just terminated it with a piggy-back spade connector onto the main earth.

Probably not a great long-term solution, but I didn't want to have to drill out a rivet or anything at the time. I've got the honeycomb tank protection too - so there are no gaps to get the new wire inside the car - it's gaffer-taped underneath the underside honeycomb panel at the moment...

...one to fix at leisure!

Quoting Myles: 
Can't recall for certain. I took the new wire to the passenger-side light cluster and almost-certainly just terminated it with a piggy-back spade connector onto the main earth.

Probably not a great long-term solution, but I didn't want to have to drill out a rivet or anything at the time. I've got the honeycomb tank protection too - so there are no gaps to get the new wire inside the car - it's gaffer-taped underneath the underside honeycomb panel at the moment...

...one to fix at leisure!

Cool, thanks Myles