Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Assessing "tiredness"

mikeo996

Any tips on a showroom visit and test drive for assessing how "fit" or conversely "tired" a car might be?

I'm viewing a car in the next few days that I know by reputation was a cracker when it was competing in sprints and hillclimbs about 10 years ago, but clearly that's a long time ago now and it seems likely to have had some hard use in between. Obviously the paperwork should help (a recent engine refresh would be nice) and it should look well cared for and drive properly but anything that's a good indicator? And getting beyond first viewing would you be looking for a compression test for instance before signing on the dotted line?

I know that it's had a roll cage in the past (now removed) and has run on slicks - does this raise any additional concerns?

A specific issue is that it has a carbon propshaft - am I right in recalling that carbon-fibre doesn't age well and therefore this could be getting brittle by now?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike

I have a R300 so have a pretty good idea of how a Caterham k-series should feel. The car I'm looking at is an upgraded k-series so not a million miles away, and as I'll arrive in mine I will be driving them back to back so that's a good test in itself.