Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine squeak

PhilKing

Following a track day my 1.8 k series engine has developed a very annoying squeak, bit like having a bird stuck under the bonnet. This appears to be coming from the cam ends where the blanking plates cover the rotatng ends on cabin end of the cylinder head. Have tried applying WD40 to this outer point, but no difference, not saying 100% from that but appears to be at that point. It is definitely revs effected so it does rise and fall with the revs.

Has anyone any suggestions what to check or possible other sources, I have checked belts and it is not a belt squeal, it is driving me mad.

Thanks any help much appreciated.

Phil

Phil, had very similar a few months back on another car. High pitched sound climbing with revs....although only coming in at about 2.5k.........searched high and low with no luck, then stuff me, I found it. Bloody spark plug cover just slightly loose and vibrating.

It had me going *rolleyes*........half a turn with the allen key and all was well.

Quoting kenny.: 
Phil, had very similar a few months back on another car. High pitched sound climbing with revs....although only coming in at about 2.5k.........searched high and low with no luck, then stuff me, I found it. Bloody spark plug cover just slightly loose and vibrating.

It had me going *rolleyes*........half a turn with the allen key and all was well.

Me too 😬

Exactly the same

Thanks for the suggestions and tried a few others as well but a big thumbs up to Redline, who found the problem, loose bolt on roller barrels allowing air between rb's and block.

So if you develop an annoying squeak and run roller barrels something to check.