Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow oil filter with anti drain?

techbod

I've just done a routine oil and filter change on my xflow car.

All is fine, except it seems to be taking a long period (2, 3 seconds?) for the oil pressure to register on the gauge compared to before, when it was almost instantaneous. The car has been given a run, oil pressure behaviour is otherwise fine.

I'm assuming that the new oil filter doesn't have an anti-drain valve, and that the old one did. Unfortunately I took the old one to recycling and I can't remember what it was. Any recommendations for an xflow filter that does have anti-drain? (New one is a motorcraft item, but part number isn't immediately to hand but it was mentioned in the archives as being suitable.)

Alternatively, what might the cause be?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I did the same and filled the filter before fitting, but this issue occurs on every start since the change. I took the rocker cover off to check the valve clearances - there is plenty of oil up there so once started its all going round ok, its just the delay in the gauge registering pressure that concerns me.

Having dug around I think the filter is a Motorcraft efl500, which is recommend for the xflow from various sources, so I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky and this particular filter is duff, or its something else entirely.

I think I'll get a Champion C103 (which I've used with no problems before) and try that. If its solves the issue I'll just put it down to one of those things and assume I just had an issue with that particular filter