Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight switch

Phil

What are you doing to them?

My side/dip switch, main beam switch, and main beam flash switch are the originals from build in 2001 and 35000 miles ago. The two toggles have gone up the trouser leg a couple of times, I'm not sure how, but . . .They've always worked. Car lives outside too, so not exactly in a dry, humidity free environment. Okay, the hazard switch needs the occasionaly rapid cycling to make the indicators work, but other than that they seem as reliable as anything else.

I use the same tye of switches on the Dutton trials car, liberated from ancient BMC vehicles in scrapyards around the country, and they are really abused on events - covered in mud and water, snow, hail, dust. And as it is placed on the trailer backwards due to the ballast, they get really blasted with high speed water on a rainy motorway. Car then lives outside with a bikini top that trues to ape a half hood, but lets lots more water in - only thing to get jittery is a push/pull switch of indeterminate make for the wipers.

Bri

Phil

The light switch has 3 connections

Brown/Blue from the ignition switch & feeds the flasher switch

Red feeds the side lights, rear lights & panel lights

Slate feeds the main lighting relay

The 3 position switch works as follows

1 = off

2 = turns side lights on (Red) + panel lights (Red/White)

3 = Keeps the side light on + activates the lighting relay (via the Slate wire) to give power to the dip switch via a Blue wire.

Replace with an Off - on1 - on 1+2 toggle switch

The dip switch actiates either the diped lights (Blue/Red) via a 15A fuse No. 9

OR the main beam headlights (Blue/White) via a 15A fuse No. 8 - this wire also provides power to the rear fog light via a 5A fuse No.5

Replace dip switch with an on-on toggle switch

The flasher switch is fed from the ignition switch (Brown Blue) & activates the main beam headlights via the Blue/White wire.

Colours are from an 1998 K series EU2 so the colours may vary from yours, sounds complicated but it's not.If you blatmail me I'll send you a wiring diagram.

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

Edited by - alan7 on 25 Jan 2011 00:15:30