Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pipe coupling on R400 Duratec

Angus

The R400 Duratec (and maybe the other Duratec-engined cars) has a single fuel pipe system, ie there is no return to the tank. The pipe itself is a black corrugated plastic item, made (I think) by Ford, and on each end there is a push fit coupling. This arrangement makes connection very easy - ideal for self builders. However, there is no obvious way to disconnect the coupling once fitted. It looks like there may need to be a special tool.

Does anyone know how to release the fuel pipe coupling on the R400 Duratec ? Is there a special tool ?

Angus.

Hi Angus

Yes, the build manual says...

"Once fitted the pipe cannot be removed without a special tool"

This is the elbow fitting

This is the whole pipe assembly

Sealey do a set of disconnection tools it's likely to be one of those.

What are trying to do, take the engine out?

BTW, it may be worth noting that the corrugated part is just a protective sleeve over a smooth plastic hose. That smooth hose is then a push fit over the barb on the connector.

Martyn

R300GRR waiting for V5

I have just built a RoadSport 175 0 which uses the same installation and I believe has the same black plastic connector.

If you look carefully at the connector there is a point which you can push in with your thumbnail - that is all you need to do to disconnect the clip inside the connecter and then pull off the connecter. There will be some fuel inside the rail and the hose - so make sure you have a rag to catch it and stop it from spraying out.

Andy

Thanks for the help guys.

lavena - I think ISWYM, but I cannot get my nail in and so I am going the tool route.

Rattie

That disconnection tool looks like it will do the job. I also found a set of pliers here which I think I am leaning towards. Irritating that you cannot buy just the one you need but have to go for a set. Still might be able to offload the others on ebay.

I am not looking to take the engine out (yet), but want to drain the tank, by using the pump, so I have a true zero fuel level. I can then fill in precise amounts so I can get an accurate calibration on the stack fuel guage.

Angus

Sorry - maybe yours is different to mine. Mine was quite easy to push in and then it slipped off the fuel rail easily.

Good luck with the tools - I would be tempted to give CC a ring and ask them what the right tool is. The pliers seem to be for GM/Opel fittings.

Andy

Edited by - lavena on 2 Apr 2010 17:24:40

• 1 year later...

Since I asked the original question on this thread I have found the answer. Apologies for not posting.

It is actually really simple to remove the coupling. No special tools are needed.

All you need to do is press in the flat section of the coupling on the side oposite the two holes and just pull off. Just use some snipe pliers or a screwdriver (or even your fingers if strong enough). The two holes are a red herring - you do not need to insert anything into them. A little fuel will leak so be prepared for that.

Angus