Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brise starter v K-series

murph7355

Bought a Brise starter (the coaxial one without the integral spacer). Nice bit of kit except I can't get it to fit my K-series.

I believe it's not unusual for the block to need grinding slightly to make it fit. No worries, Dremel at the ready.

Initially I thought that the starter was catching on what looked like a redundant engine mount point. So this was removed and the starter almost fit. But it still doesn't quite go home into the spacer (which I'm using from my old starter).

I know the starter fits the spacer (albeit snugly) as I tried it off the car. I know the spacer fits the bell housing. But can't get the two things to fit all of a piece. It's as if the starter needs to rotate clockwise a bit (if looking from the rear of the starter) but won't rotate.

Has anyone had to grind a K-series block to fit a Brise starter? And if so, which areas needed grinding?

There was a type that had an integral spacer. I think you must have this type. I don't think this one would engage otherwise (though will double check I'm not being dumb!).

Thing is it all looks like it should fit. It just doesn't quite go together.