Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion hitting chassis

richard bradbury

I have owned my 1992 Vx since 1996 and during that time the radius arm support on the top of the De Dion has hit the chassis member, which goes up to the spring/damper turret, when under full depression. I have had a suspension allignment problem at the back end, and the factory re-jigged the spacing on the bushes to move the tube over to the passenger side. This has cured the allignment problem. However, whilst the De Dion does not hit the chassis on the passenger side, on the driver's side it is worse than it used to be. I have recently had the car resprayed, but I am now getting gouge marks in the repaired bodywork. I have talked to Arch and they say that later chassis had the chassis tube moved back 3/4 inch so later cars do not get this problem.

I run standard (yellow) springs and dampers which were replaced a couple of years ago, and the radius arms are attached to the chassis in the upper position. Does anybody with a similar car to mine use the lower mounting point? I gather Caterham reckon this position made the ride too hard and was only used by the racers. Also can anybody recommend a firmer spring/damper combination or would this make the back end too lively?

Thanks.

bradders

Richard,

I have my 93 vx in the lower hole and it is fine (though this is with Nitron 150lb springs and dampers). Compared to the race Bilstein dampers and rock hard springs that the car came with this, it is now a pleasure to drive - previously I had considered selling it as it was too much of a handful on anything but perfectly smooth roads.

Richard, i have a 92 chassis HPC and had a similar issue when the car was new and i switched the radius arm location, cant remember which one though 😳 can you tell from the picture here this cured the problem and the car handles just fine, when the roll bar is in one piece 😬

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

Thanks for the info. I shall need to check with Caterham what strength the yellow rear springs are, in case they are not the correct spec. I have got through 3 rear anti-roll bars and have given up fitting them, without much change in handling, maybe a bit more understeer if really pushing on.

bradders

I have just looked at the Nitron website and they do a set of springs/dampers for the whole car for close on £1000, 140lbs rear and 250lbs front. Not cheap! I only do road use so would find it difficult to justify unless the benefits are worth it.

What is the general impression of changing from standard spec to Nitrons?

bradders