Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattling Headrests

PACR

I managed to fix my wobbly headrests (s-type seats from '99 Caterham) last week.

If anyone else suffers from this problem, caused by shearing off the rivit that holds the strip of spring steel in place, and so doesn't use the headrests any more - here's how to fix it.

Slide seats forward. Just under shoulder height on the rear of the seat the leather stops and meets the plastic back. The material has a strip of plastic attached that fits under a flap on the plastic back cover. Just pull the material down gently and unhook. The strip of spring steel will probably fall out... or reach in and find it.

There are two holes at the top of the rectangular hole in the seat where the headrest goes. The smaller one is where the strip will be attached.

Get a short length of M5 threaded bar or a bolt. Weld the bolt into the hole in the spring so it protrudes back about 10-15mm but doesn't poke out the other side too much. Put a nut and washer on to sit the spring on when welding. Grind it nice and smooth - can be about 2 mm proud but make sure it's rounded.

Fit spring into slot in seat and poke bolt through small hole. Grope around and put a spring washer and nut onto the bolt - use loctite if you've got it. A Nyloc will be a swine to fit. Do up nut and refit the material under the flap.

Rounding off the edge of the headrest post will also help a bit.

It took me almost a year to get round to fixing mine, now my passenger doesn't look at the sky when I accelerate anymore.

Piers