Click here if you are having website access problems ×

246bhp Vx engined 21 for sale

paul jacobs

The time has come to put my red 21 on the market. Having built it in spring 1997, registered it on a "R" plate, done 3000 miles in that summer, I then fitted an SBD modified, dry sumped Vauxhall 2 litre 16v engine, using throttle bodies and MBE ecu, which showed 246 bhp on the dyno when newly built. The spec of the engine is too long to list here, but if you are interested give me a ring. {I would also be interested in selling the complete engine, with loom, dry sump equipment and all ancillaries except the alternator, seperately for around £5,000:00, if anyone is interested]

Gearbox is a Brian Hill BGH Geartec modified c/r helical 5 speeder plus quick shift lever, with a 3.92 limited slip diff.

All suspension has been uprated, as have the brakes which now run 280mm front discs with AP 4 pots and a "competition" master cylinder.

The interior has black leather "S" seats, piped in red to match the paintwork and is fully trimmed with power point, glove locker, map net, rollover hoops, heater etc and is a great place to be.

This is now a genuine 150mph car which has still only done 12,000 miles, and whilst perhaps, not such an everyday car as Caterham might have liked it to be, is nevertheless a great drive and a never ending source of amusement, fun and attention. It has also been the subject of several complimentary magazine articles, is in excellent condition and has never been involved in any accidents nor needed to be repaired. But there is full factory spares backup from Caterham if it is ever required!

I am looking for an offer in the region of £18,750:00 which doesn't even start to reflect the amount of money that I have put in during the last 4 years, but will give excellent value for money on a power per pound sterling basis.

I also have a spare Vauxhall 2 litre engine, slightly less modified. Wet sumped running Kent cams and Alpha-Weber throttle bodies and ECU. This engine has just been rebuilt and not run. If someone is interested in either engine seperately, please talk to me.

My phone number is: 01823 421 748

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 7 Apr 2002 14:08:27

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 29 May 2002 09:42:38

I just feel like a change, I've gone as far as I can with the 21, whilst still keeping it sweet as a road car. I fancy one of those motorbike engined sevens which rev to 14,000 with sequential 6 speed boxes and weigh next to nothing. Haven't driven one yet in case I wanted one badly, so I might get put off after that.

• 1 month later...

The 21 is still for sale, I've now got a web site for it at:

www.entty.co.uk the photos were scanned in and take an age to load, so apologies for that, but they are worth it if you can be bothered to wait, as a couple show the unique Vauxhall engine installation.

Of course there could be some movement on price, but sadly can't afford to give the car away. P/X also considered but cash bettersmile.gif

I would also consider selling just the engine, complete with all dry sump parts, wiring loom and ECU, and most ancillaries except alternator, which can obviously be heard and tried in situ at present. It has to be good value at £5000?