Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Guage?

Andrew Russell

Having just returned from my first decent blat of the year, I had thought that my fuel economy had improved dramatically over the winter, but alas not. It would seem that my fuel gauge has developed a fault!

It is a VDO unit and is on fuel scale (Full) and doesn't shift!

Any one any ideas how or what to check?

Just before the car was put away for winter, the guage did fail to indicate an empty tank, showing 1/4 full at that time. When I refilled it,the guage went to full and aparently stayed there.

Duff guage or a sender unit problem?

Any help gratefully received.

Andrew

Not a cure really but just to inform you I have EXACTLY the same problem. over the past few years it has been intermitant. I suspect that the sender float is stuck in the max up position. I am going to have it out this week because I ran out of fuel as a result a few days ago, I will let you know what happens.

Cheers

Glenn

• Area Representative

Had the same problem with mine from new. It would show full, gradually decrease with miles and then stop at around 1/4 mark and leave me guessing!! After a month or so, I got fed up with it and took the sender out of the tank and carefully bent the arm a slight amount up.

Now it never shows more than 3/4 full but at least goes down properly when the fuel is being used and gets to the red. I know which option I prefer!

Taking the sender unit out was very easy. The most hassle was getting the boot floor in and out of the car - just when you are about to do something you will probably regret, it seems to slip through(!). Then it was a quick job to take the unit in and out.

Good luck

Nick