Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sheared bolt head

rob spencer

• Support Team

Spent all day yesterday fitting engine, box, cooling system, electrics etc etc. Got to the exhaust in the manual and that was a piece of cake until... b*gger...I sheared of the head of the 5/16 bolt holding the rear bracket to the chassis.

10 to 5, rushed out to buy a centrepunch and a stud extractor.

Just in time.

Two qestions

1. how do you drill a hole in whats left of the bolt in the chassis? I centre-punched it then tried using a 3mm, then 2mm, then 1.5mm HSS drill bits on the fastest speed of my leccy drill. They all broke without making much impression.

2. When I eventually manage to drill a hole to fit the extractor tool, its got such a small square shank to grip and twist. How do you get a good enough grip on the thing to exert enough force onto the stuck bolt to remove it?

Spoiled what was almost a perfect day!

Rob

Best thing to grab extractor with is tap wrench ( that is tap for cutting threads not water tap) Having said that I've never ever succeeded in getting a sheared bolt out with one of these. The answer is lots of patience lots of penetrating oil WD or Plus gas a bit of heating with a gas torch will help. Do all of these not just one. If the remains of the bolt are well below the block surface I generally make up a bush to centre a drill on the bolt and progressively drill it out and end up picking the remains of the thread of the bolt out with dental instruments which you can improvise with hard wire.

If you've still got enough meat left on the outside of stud, try gentley trying to unscrew it by tapping it anti-clockwise with your centre punch and hammer....I always use this method first before I use stud extrators. Where are you based Rob?..I'd give you a lift if you are local.

Kenny (Bessiest shagged bolt getter outer there was when I was a toolmaker)

Edited by - kenny on 18 Mar 2002 09:23:21

• Support Team

unfortunately the bolt is just behind the painted side skin so heat is out i'm afraid. I think lots of penetrating oil before I have a go with the centrepunch.

I'll have to see if I can find a left-hand fluted drill...but I've not heard of one of them before. Local ironmonger has everything!

Kenny, you anywhere near Chesterfield if I can't sort it?

rob

• Support Team

Result

After soaking overnight (the bolt not me) it started to move after about 5 minutes of talking to it with a centrepunch and hammer. It was out in about 15 mins and what a relief.

Thanks for the help guys

Rob

rob