Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recurring Speedo woes

JimmyRocks

I`m suffering a recurrent problem with the speedo. ☹️

Seems to be the familiar one of the short length of cable coming out of the gearbox breaking.

Have replaced it several times in the last couple of years, but it rarely lasts more than a few hundred miles.

Would it be an answer to convert to an electric rather than cable Speedo 🤔

Has anyone done this 🤔 and what parts would I need. I have tried asking CC who were unable to answer and haven`t got back to me. Have trawled through quite a few old speedo threads also.

or am I missing something simple in replacing the cable 🤔

Could it be that the angle drive is tight/seizing therefore putting an undue strain on the quill as it trys to turn it? *idea* Have you tried dropping the angle drive down and seeing how difficult it is to rotate the quill?

Could just be something simple like the bevel gears requiring lubrication, or even the main cable itself sticking in the outer cable.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 14 Nov 2006 16:22:20

It's usualy a kink in the speedo cable and it's usualy near the head. This is a genereal comment not 7 specific.

You will almost certainly find a kink in the speedo cable somewhere. Also a few drops (not too much) of 3 in 1 oil down the speedo cable is all that needed for lubrication. If you put too much oil down the cable it gets "wound" up and soaks the speedo innards. It also runs out all over your trousers.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited