Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smaller battery - revised mounting tray ?

Crany

I have just put a new battery into my car and decided on a higher output, smaller unit than the standard Caterham one (1.6K Supersport, 97 vintage).

I now need to modify/re make the tray that the battery mounts in, anyone got any advice of the best way to go about this ? A new tray from an aluminium fabricator ? Or attempt to modify the existing one ? If anyone has already done this and has pictures or drawings that I could have, that would be a big help ?

Mark

• Support Team

My solution was to remove the existing battery tray (drill out the rivets) and then cut some right angle ali (from B&Q) to the correct lengths to form the sides of the tray - I then rivetted these to the top of the footwell. I used some straight length ali bent to shape (in the same way as on the existing battery tray) to secure the battery. I have seen a nylon strap used instead which is a neater method. It's not the most elegant solution but is effective. I am using a Red Top 15 battery and mounted it lying on its side.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Originally, with my first Odyssey 545, I mounted it flat and just bent the straps (stainless steel) to suit. needed a longer bolt to secure the two ends, but it worked fine.

Some pics are here - slightly clouded by the addition of the heatsink - but you can see what I've done with the strap.

When I changed to the PC680 (same width but taller), I mounted it vertically and made my own ali strap. I reused the tray, but removed the old stainless band. (pics at the bottom of the same page).

I used rivnuts to secure the new strap - and placed some high-density foam tape on the underside so that it didn't damage the battery and helped keep it snug.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com