Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HPC 2.0 VX Front suspension set up

Culminator

I've turned full circle and I'm back to VX 7's having just purchased a 1997 HPC. It's a fabulous car and handles quite well, despite it's original narrow track wishbones.

I'm keen to upgrade to widetrack and wondered if anyone had details of the correct anti roll bar diameter to get and also what shocks, springs to upgrade to.

It's on adjustable Bilsteins at the moment...

I had a Freestyle adjustable until I bent it in a crash and haven't bothered with one since.  I always removed it when competing in the wet, wide or narrow track, to reduce understeer which they're inclined to do with the heavy engine.  I also have an adjustable rear bar so I can tweak it a bit with that.  If you feel you must have one, go for the thinnest but I'd try without first.  I don't know if it's still the same but when I bought my widetrack kit from CC years ago, it came with a very thick (18mm?) green bar - way too stiff IMHO.

Paul

Agree with Paul. Although my widetrack front suspension is absolutely non standard, I find the handling far better without a front anti roll bar.

A change from a torque bias diff to a plate diff reduced the understeer noticeably ...

What spring rate were you guys running when you removed the ARB?

Its also possible to reduce the roll and understeer with the damper rather than the spring which has a significant affect on the wheel frequency.

Increasing the low speed compression damping really has a very positive effect on weight transfer - works the tyre harder for that element of the handling and helps with grip.

My spring rates are 340/200 BUT that is with a completely non standard widetrack front suspension. I removed the front antiroll bar during a chassis up refresh which included the swap from torque bias to plate diff and a slight increase in front spring rates so it's difficult to pin down exactly where the reduction in understeer came from.

Dampers are 20 year old Leda (rebuilt a few times of course *biggrin*  ) ..... 

Interestingly the small change in angle between the front upper wishbone mount and the current chassis mount doesn't change the frequency that much.

Not sure of your geometry Roger as its a while since I saw your car.

If I were specifying a set of dampers now for a VX  (I just have a few moments ago) it would be 250/140.  This keeps as close as damn it the frequencies as a K on 200/130.

My guess is a roll bar on your set ups was influencing the handling to much and adding spring rate and making it to stiff.  If I recall Rogers car had proper drop links rather than the Caterham set up so it worked better.

Add into all of this that my damper set ups have lots more low speed compression force which controls the roll or weight transfer. - Hence my softer springs

Would you also recommend leaving the anti roll bar off with that set up Simon? I'll be calling you in a couple of weeks re a set of Quantums. Just need to find wide track wishbones first.

thanks everyone for all the info, just what I was after.