Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump – Sump plug location - Rover k series

Superwhite R283

Going to get a boss welded into my sump to drain the oil, just checking on the general consensus on location, I've looked on the latest sumps which come with a sump plug and its located at the rear on the angle section next to the bellhousing, having not installed it yet I'm not sure if this is the lowest point and therefore be able to drain all of the oil out?

Has anyone added any sump protection to the front? I'm guessing the dry sump pan will be higher than my current wet sump so probably not worth it, just thinking while its off and I'm having welding done….

I'm also going to get a sump plug installed into the blue plate (bellhousing tank).

Cheers Darren

In the post now, Simon.

Back on topic, for what it's worth, I was advised not to both with a drain plug in my Pace dry sump pan. Like Martyn says, the oil scavenge pickup(s) can be removed to drain what little oil there is probably left in the pan during an oil change and I was thinking of spinning the pump by hand to suck everything out of the sump.

Martyn/Mankee, i did think about this but to remove the gold insert/filter you have to undo two of the sump boost (as they hold the pick up pipe here in place), just worried me about the sump un sealing? Probably no need to worry? Or i guess i could modify the pick up pipe so it doesn’t use to two sump bolts?

My oil change method is

Warm engine first, remove the oil from the tank from above with a Pela pump, remove filter, remove oil pipe and clean brass filter, remove external pump belt and give it a few spins. Reverse procedure and then 4l into the oil tank and 1 into the cam cover. (CC Dry sump system).

I've never had a problem when removing the scavenge pump pick up side to drain the sump oil. The support bracket nuts that go through the sump have not yet caused leakage(probably because the dry sump should be under slight vacuum  with the engine running,- stationary the oil in the head will make its way to the sump) Mine gets refreshed after every 10hrs of hard use. My dry sump pan from caterham came with a plug at the lowest point, I have never removed this as when I installed the steel plug into the aluminium sump the threads didn't quite "feel" right. I don't run a bellhousing system but a duratec tank for the external storage, Taking off the front connection which feeds the oem oil pump drains this. I am not anal about the remaining 200mls of oil that doesn't drain. If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge attached at the oil filter take off and you disconnect it overnight you will also get (as well as the capilliary tube volume) an additional 200mls out of the oil system.

I tend to leave mine draining overnight with the car level,.

Rgds

Albert