Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New car recommendations for SWMBO.....

Steve-B

I'm hoping the POBC will have some sound opinions on what I should be looking at for SWMBO. Her 2008 Volvo V50 2.3D is getting a bit old and with it paid off, it is time to look for a replacement as it is out of warranty and the costs with older vehicles are an issue.

I've decided to sell it, either as a part-exchange or via Autotrader and am budgeting a deposit of £6,500 -> £7,000.

She isn't that fussed with what the car is, but I want to keep payments as low as possible and probably not lease, but buy in a 48mo or 60mo basis a car that:

* Has 5 doors, she has to carry 1-2 grand children around

* Is automatic, her left knee is not as young as it once was so shifting all day ain't fun

* Isn't a pig on fuel, don't really care on Diesel or Petrol

* Built in Bluetooth, DAB would be a nice plus

So I've been sitting this AM looking at options, as the Volvo estate has been larger than she/we really need now and I've come down to three cars. Clearly a lower insurance group is warranted, so reliability + practicality is key for her.

Option 1: VW Golf SE BlueMotion 1.4 Auto 5 door, £6,700 deposit = £215/mo

Option 2: Toyota Avensis 1.8 Auto , £6,500 deposit = £216/mo

Option 3: Let the POBC suggest

I look forward to the POBC's suggestions, if you work at a dealer and sell any of the above, or POBC suggestions, we're in So. Bucks so I don't mind driving 30-50 miles to get the right car.

Thanks!

If you get a new car make sure you get a very good deal - VAG are offering some good discounts - you should easily be able to get 20% off list price I would expect - maybe more if you are buying pre reg close to new reg at the end of the summer.

We just bought a focus ecoboost 125bhp in Zetec spec, new for 13k (which is 30% discount for the actual spec we picked), the auto would be a little more. It is fine, 5 doors, DAB, Bluetooth are standard, goes well enough and even with my driving it is high 30's mpg. Even at this price the finance rate was 4.2 APR and you can put down whatever deposit you want. Worth a look?

I was converted to a Skoda Superb by a blatter. Educated choice. The more I look, I can see swmbo ending up with one two. Again, probably a Fabia. VAG engineering, good build quality, neat touches. When you see how many taxi drivers use them, and growing up with my Dad running a taxi outfit, and knowing how they always find the most cost effective vehicle going, thats the best marketing they could do for me. Just before I got mine, I had a paramedic out to my Dad. He had the 4wd Octavia. He had done 80K miles in, said he was very sceptical when given it, and now says its the best thing he's ever had for his job.

Cheers, Ed

If you can pick up the right Yaris you'll be ok. My sister bought one on my recommendation 10 years ago secondhand - it's now done 225k miles and all it's needed is an exhaust and a battery . And she thrashes the sh*t out of it, carries hay bales and horse stuff and generally abuses it .

Quoting AntonyH: 
Skoda Fabia? Big enough for the grandkids, small enough when they're not present.

Range of engines and gearboxes as you might expect.

Reasonably priced, VAG reliability.

+1 and we both know a skoda dealer Steve!!!

Skodas sound sensible. As it's BlatChat I'd add the *Yeti to the list of possibles.

For the spec you've given I'd also suggest looking at a Honda Jazz: the automatic gearbox is now getting good reviews again. Reliable, well-built and very versatile.

Jonathan

*Giving this thread the surprisingly high Yeti score of 12.

I'm now looking at Skoda a lot and didn't get a funny look from SWMBO *thumbup* so playing with their pricing calculator....

😬 I'd have to 6-ft under before I'd be in a Jazz, just because I'm 54 doesn't mean I'm ready to be a rolling roadblock 😬

Anyone looked at ge new Merc A class as another option?

Quoting Steve-B: 

😬 I'd have to 6-ft under before I'd be in a Jazz, just because I'm 54 doesn't mean I'm ready to be a rolling roadblock 😬

I had a Jazz as a hire car whilst my tintop was being serviced. A more horrible experience I couldn't imagine. Overservoed and under powered. Dire 😔

I'd go with the golf. Never looks out of place and they age very well if you intend to keep it for 5 years. I wouldn't expect the reliability to be better than average, but average is very good in this day and age. Also they hold there value quite well.

I bought 2 for my business, both the 1.6 diesel. Fantastic economy (frequently return 70mpg on a run and never works out below 60mpg) and very comfortable. I was so impressed that I bought myself one as my daily driver - gti though! 😬 Combined 150k miles between them without a single issue.

Not sure that you can really go wrong though in this class whatever you choose.

We just got back from St. Agnes long weekend away, and I am amazed how many of the vehicles on the road are some flavour of the VAG company. I think Skoda's beat Seat's by about 2:1 with Skoda beating VW by about 3:1.

The VW drivers were the worst food group behind the wheel, the Skoda drivers seemed very middle lane and the Seat drivers were good at overtaking. Knowing that's no factor it does have us going to Seat and Skoda tomorrow.

Mav pushes had for Vauxhall but I'm not sure on those vs. Ford Focus Zetec looking at what you get....

Quoting Steve-B: 
Mav pushes had for Vauxhall but I'm not sure on those vs. Ford Focus Zetec looking at what you get....

I *hope* Vauxhall have improved since our experiences of two ages of Vectra (otherwise they should have gone out of business ages ago), but the last Vectra we had was great until about 25,000 miles.

Then the electrics went very pear shaped, a pipe on the turbo started leaking which dropped the car into "limp" (limper?) mode on a frequent basis until the garage finally found the offending part after a couple of months of every-few-days failures, the electrics chucked up another set of new and interesting failures, and, er, the electrics keeled over. Again.

And, the electrics weren't very good.

And then a rear wheel bearing failed just before we were due to drive to Italy, while the car was still just in warranty, and VX initially quibbled about fixing it under warranty because it was "only just" in warranty.

*confused*

Eventually, being a company car, we persuaded the garage to just blummin fix the damn thing so we could go on holiday, and let them, VX and the leasing company argue about who was paying for it later.

I have more recently driven an Insignia, on a day I couldn't make use of our Skoda Superb (cos MrsH was going in a different direction). The cruise switch was nice, but other than that, I wouldn't buy one with your money, never mind my own. Maybe the Astra is nicer, don't know.

Alternatively Anthony, other people have a great experience with the Vx range - I've had 3 vectors and an Insignia, nothing other than expected wear and tear to be honest, other than a couple of minor warranty issues on the Vectra B we had. Never had a problem with my local dealer either. Perhaps I was lucky there too...

Current Insignia is extremely comfortable and well loaded with a premium feel. Perhaps you were just unlucky or had an economy spec item.

I've also advised Steve on several other brands and models that I feel will be suitable, having known him and his wife for many years.

Quoting Steve-B: 

Only I'm so much as i pointed out if you are there 2nd owner of a less than 1 year old car, you get the benefit of the 100,000 / lifetime warranty Vx now offer with their cars...

Oh, that and the spec you can get against some of the german brands for the same money...

Quoting mav: 
Alternatively Anthony, other people have a great experience with the Vx range - I've had 3 vectors and an Insignia, nothing other than expected wear and tear to be honest, other than a couple of minor warranty issues on the Vectra B we had. Never had a problem with my local dealer either. Perhaps I was lucky there too...

Current Insignia is extremely comfortable and well loaded with a premium feel. Perhaps you were just unlucky or had an economy spec item.

I've also advised Steve on several other brands and models that I feel will be suitable, having known him and his wife for many years.

*thumbup*

Maybe we just got unlucky, but it was enough to put us off the brand.