Click here if you are having website access problems ×

And the award for mechanical numpty of 2011 goes to......

Blokko

*** Please forgive my mechanical numptiness ***

Went to get petrol before heading up to Lake District. Didn't have the Peltors on and noticed that the clutch depression was very squeaky.

Just as I got back home the clutch pedal shot up to the top of the pedal box. Immediate thought was that it was a broken cable, but all seems ok. Took the rubber seal off the top of the bellhousing and what I presume is the clutch release arm is moving freely backwards and forwards - I would have expected it to be under spring tension.

Here

Here

Any suggestions - presume that we are looking at replacement clutch (or parts of) and an engine out job? Going to have to find out if I can get it sorted whilst I'm in the Lakes before Friday as I'm in Wales with the Se7ens List. Would I be looking at Rover bits or Caterham (it is a standard Academy K Series)?

Edited by - Blokko on 9 May 2011 01:53:31

Steve,

That is an 🙆🏻, sorry to hear of your troubles.

I can offer no useful support, other than (if you are going to repair at home) to offer you my engine crane. Drop me a mail if you need it.

• Area Representative

Hi Steve,

did you disconnect the cable from the clutch release arm before taking the photos?

if not then it will be a snapped cable.

there will be a certain amount of free play in the clutch release arm in any case up to the point where the release bearing meets the pressure plate and without the cable connected it will move freely (i.e. it won't be under tension)

All the best

Richard.

PS if you think it will help BM you're number and I'll give you a call.

Just spoke to Guy and CRB was most likely, but then reading other posts it suddenly struck me that I checked the cable connections both ends, but not whether it was snapped in between - doh!

Will get my dad to check this for me. I have a spare cable, so it would be fab if that is the problem.

Thanks to all the replies and offers of kit / parts.

Right, got my bro's to check for me. Looks like the clutch pedal has jumped its stop and shot to the top of the pedal box, which has introduced the slack to the clutch cable (which they have checked - it is not broken).

Managed to push the pedal back down and it has stayed in place - so maybe there is just some play in the shaft that acts as the fulcrum for all three pedals that has allowed some sideways movement on the clutch - enough to sidestep the stop.

If this is the case then I'm hopeful that I can get a fix for next Fri.

Steve,

The pedal pivot is a long bolt that goes through the brake and clutch pedal. This should not allow free lateral play. Take the top off the pedal box and check the bolt is tight. Re-connect the clutch cable both ends and try it. If the cable is intact then when you push the pedal tother end will move. If that end is in the clutch fork it will move the fork (and attached CRB) against the clutch diaphram spring (towards engine) and all would feel OK. If the fork goes all the way to the front of the slot in the bell housing or the pedal hits the floor first then something in the bellhousing is amiss (assuming the clutch cable has not been hugely adjusted incorectly), most likey the CRB but could also be the cover plate but that would be rare. If it is CRB then engine out, whilst out give the clutch cover and centre plate a good check and replace if worn.

Any photos of cable at both ends before you took it apart?

In the second photo, with the fork towards the back of the car you can see the clutch cover. If you look straight down you should be able to see the CRB on the front of the fork. A photo of that would help to see if it is damaged.

First thing is to be very sure the cable is OK......

Cheers

Guy

Edited by - Mavic82 on 7 May 2011 20:50:55

Well, in my defence we were really up against things time-wise (needed to get up to Ambleside to pick up keys for cottage before the agency offices closed). Had I have spent a bit more time investigating things I'd have realised that all that had happened was the cable had just become disconnected from the clutch fork when my foot slipped off the pedal.

What really threw me was the amount of play in the clutch fork when not connected to the clutch cable. I'd convinced myself that this would be under tension from the off and this blinded me from spotting what, in retrospect, was bleeding obvious *mad*

Cost me 6 hours of unnecessary travelling, a bit of wasted holiday and a tank of petrol. I'm sure there will be a good deal of (deserved) ribbing to come from fellow 7'ers on this one over coming months - but at least this now means I'll be in a 7 for the Wales trip *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*