Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drysump hoses - any specific (material) requirements

Myles

I need to replace two of the main hoses in my Honda Blackbird DS setup - the originals (cut to length/shape) are no longer available apparently.

The two hoses are from the bottom of the DS tank to the sump (presumably to the oil-pump feed area) and one from the back of the sump to the scavenge pump.

I believe the current hoses are double-bound internally to prevent kinking (one has a mighty corner to negotiate - is Samco-style hosing up to the job, or will it potentially collapse under sucky-sucky pressure? *confused* *tongue*

The standard Samco stuff is far too soft for dry sump use. I had the same dilema and had to run standard heater hose as a temporary fix. This felt ok when cold, but you could pinch it shut with two fingers when full of hot oil! *eek*

You could do with looking for some aeroquip hosing, have a look at Merlin and DT among other places. Some recommended hydraulic hose, which is certainly strong enough, but the lengths I found were too rigid to be able to go around a corner in the engine bay. *smile*

Think Auto will supply the correct stuff made up to any dimension you specify with whatever end connectors you want normally next day delivery. 100R6 is the cheaper rubber oil hose and is quite cheap for normal use.

Argh! Thought as much. Think ought to be able to sort me out one way or another - I've been warned that the dry sump itself has some funny fittings on though if I were to go the aeroquip-style route.

Hoses need to be oil proof (including breather hoses). Material grade R100 is fine as it is used for hydraulics (can be obtained from most Agricultural dealers). Standard silocon hoses are not oil proof (unless Flouro Lined) and will degrade, also, as you say they will colapse unless reiforced.

Alternatively check out Merlin Motorsport

Nick