Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brakes broken and now braking! Thanks all

myothercarsa2cv

I've really screwed up.

I got hold of some speed bleeders from Goodridge in 3/8th for the calipers. It's been a disaster.

On the rear, it appears not to engage enough threads, and I have stripped one of the threads too ☹️

On the front, the nipple only seals if you tighten them up all the way so the nut sits on the caliper body. You have to tighten them up quite a bit, and now I'm worried about threading those too. I've put the old nipples on the rear again, and will probably do the same on the front just to be on the safe side.

The shame is they work really well.

So, any thoughts on the threaded rear caliper? The old nipple grips and holds fluid, but I don't think I want to risk the pressure of braking popping it out. Can it be helicoiled? Is this a hard task? Should I replace the caliper? Or will it be ok as it is?

Also, I'm not sure the nut should be up against the caliper on the fronts - should I put the old ones back on?

Can anyone perhaps come and help please? Feeling a bit of a div right now ☹️

Edited to update the title *tongue* Updated again... *wink*

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 8 May 2011 22:42:52

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 9 May 2011 23:48:30

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 10 May 2011 22:21:50

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 12 May 2011 23:25:35

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

Regarding helicoil inserts, there is a video which shows the process

To be honest I wouldn't want to consider attempting a helicoil repair on a brake caliper bleed nipple, the reason being that you have to drill the hole out and tap it to suit the insert, the main risk is that the sealing face of the bleed hole (i.e. where the taper on the bleed nipple sits) is likely to be damaged in the process and then you may never have an effective seal.

Helicol kits aren't massively expensive examples here but you do need to make sure that you have the correct size to suit the nipple, if you have access to a machine shop with a drill press where you can set the depth accurately and you are confident then you could give it a go, but it would be a difficult job to get right, by comparison exhaust manifold bolt holes are a doddle to helicoil.

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best

Richard

I damaged the threads on one of my front calipers in a crash. I sent it to AP and they helicoiled it for me and refurbished the caliper for not a lot. So it definately can be done.

Is there also not a copper washer between the nipple and the caliper? Maybe the lack of this washer caused you to overtighten the nipple?

Rob

Actually, you might be right Ian... They did go in a little easy - the fronts were a little firmer going in - thinking about it probably because of the threadlock. Balls. What a pillock - I just assumed they'd be the same as the fronts... *redface* Does anyone know what the correct thread size is? I guess not 3/8th... ☹️

• Area Representative

The pipe fittings into the standard Sierra calipers are M10x1.0 (which looks very similar to 3/8UNF !), so I'd guess that the nipples will also be M10x1.0

M10 ☹️ That might explain it then... So... As I put 3/8th in both, do you think both will need attention? Or will it be ok? Will there be enough thread to hold an M10 in the caliper? Or should I just bit the bullet and replace them?

ETA - Ian - it came with some stuff on it, just assumed it was threadlock?

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 6 May 2011 09:49:06

John, I really wouldn't take any risks with brake parts. For the sake of doing it correctly the consequences don't bear thinking about. You wouldn't use the car with damaged tyres after all.

If It were me, I'd look at getting the damaged items reconditioned and find out for sure what the thread sizes should be. You can always buy a thread guage to measure the thread on the original nipples.

Edited by - Doug on 6 May 2011 12:43:05

Thanks Ian *thumbup*

I have 20:20 hindsight *wink* I didn't know yesterday when I royally messed it up *redface* I have checked now though. Stupidly I didn't even think to check what the rears were, I only asked about the fronts - young and foolish eh? I should know better than to think that there was a standard for anything on a 7!!!

I agree Doug - I don't want to take a risk. But at the same time, I don't have the time or money for this, so if there isn't a major problem, I'm a happy man! A friend suggested that the nipple might well have been the destructee - one to check I think! Though I think that might be a bit too fortunate...

Seen your wanted ads - as the rears are a std item your local motor factor will do a recon exchange for £50-60. Ford Sierra remember. They don't care a toss about stripped threads or snapped bleed nipples they just retap/helicoil as reqd. The only thing they get stroppy about is when someone has snapped an Easiout or a tap in the hole as this can be vey difficult to put right.

Thanks Ian, will give them a call. The nearest motor factor wanted as much for exchange recon as Rally Design do for a brand new one *eek*

I found on this site here a caliper for about £50, which seems good, but am I picking the right one? I went for a late Sierra Diesel, which shows up as having 11mm thick discs, which seems right?

Ok... them being brakes, I have decided to be sensible (well, SWMBO did *redface*, and I do as I'm told) so I have ordered some recon ones. The part number matched the number on the Caterham website, so I'm happy. I'll whip the old ones off, and if anyone wants them to see if they can refurb them, they're welcome to them, curséd things!

Bad luck John ☹️ Stick with the bit of tube, a jam jar & SWMBO or another right foot in the car, it's what has worked for years. *wink*

On the subject of hydraulics, the one bit of my sigma 7 I'm not keen on is the clutch slave cylinder hidden away inside the bell housing. If I ever have trouble with it it's an engine out job. *thumbdown*

My early sigma has a manual bleeder on the clutch,a bit of a fiddle to get at but works perfectly. Later ones have an auto bleeder. Guess what, they can be trouble with weeping & not bleeding properly. Answer, keep it simples!

Hope you are back on the road soon.

It's true - if it's worked for a hundred years, it will work for a hundred more!

So good news is that the silicone hoses are all fitted, no leaks, expelled all the air (I think), fan kicks in ok, temp stays constant. Everything looks hunky dory at the front - all lights work (had to redo the earth for the side repeaters, surprise surprise *rolleyes*) and I am a bit happier. All I need to do now is fit the new calipers, bleed the brakes properly, give it a good clean and go for a test drive!

Oh and I found out today that my gear lever is throwing a sicky *mad* it doesn't want to return to middle. BC search suggests its a rusty ball. Tunnel top out, which means tillet out... *rolleyes*

*arrowup* Don't fiddle with anything else *nono* I reckon with a bit of use the gear change will return to normal! Oil level ok in the box?

I do like the soundof your silicone water hoses though! A worthwhile upgrade that look the part & last much longer. They are expensive though 😳