Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Some embarrassing questions - HELP!!

Drifter

First things first, I will happily admit to being a bit of a technical numpty so bear with me on this one 😬.

Have a standard 1.6 Supersport (a 52mm throttle body was recently fitted) - when accelerating, it seems jerky (misfire?) around 2500-3000 revs. I took it out on the motorway and it seemed to get worse, stuttering up to about 4000 revs. I opened the bonnet and could hear what sounded like some sparking at the top of the engine at idle (though this was intermittent) and revving the car when stationary did not appear to have any issues.

I opened the top and noticed that one coil pack bolt was missing and the other very loose (I was able to take this off by hand). The HT plug on one of the cylinders seemed quite loose aswell. Would these have any effect?

Also, is there an idiot's guide to changing spark plugs (including any torque settings and types of plugs to use) and distributor/rotor arm available anywhere? I can't..ahem even see the distributor!! 😳 😬

Edited by - Drifter on 5 May 2011 09:15:11

Edited by - Drifter on 6 May 2011 23:03:40

Edited by - Drifter on 6 May 2011 23:04:21

Edited by - Drifter on 6 May 2011 23:06:55

Did you do the reset thing ignition on press throttle to the floor five times ignition off

then start as normal.

After the throttle body change?

Edited by - tweeky on 5 May 2011 09:26:51

Edited by - tweeky on 5 May 2011 18:53:23

If the coil packs were loose and HT leads then very definitely YES this could cause your running problems. This is after all their job and if they are flapping about you are hardly giving them a fair chance. *tongue*

Re spark plugs: There is an idiots' guide in Haynes manuals. With coil packs the procedure may be a bit different but basically:

- Remove HT leads ONE at a time so you don't mix them up.

- Blow out any dust from the sockets.

- Unscrew the plug anticlockwise with the correct plug spanner, one with a rubber ring inside to protect the white ceramic plug insulator.

- This bit is important:

- Without allowing any crap to fall in the hole, place a correctly gapped spark plug in the hole, it's easiest to do this with a plug socket on a long extension bar. Take the ratchet driver off this, just twiddle them in by hand. Doing it by hand means that you won't cross thread things and knacker the threads which could be VERY expensive. Once the plug is screwed in by hand as far as it will go (a good 8 or so full turns) put on the ratchet or tommy bar and give it 1/8 of a turn. NO MORE.

- Replace the HT leads, coil packs, etc.

Simple test for shorting out:-

wait till tonight when it's dark, fire her up and keep the lights off while you look at the coil packs - blue lightening suggests a problem of shorting out - a bit like a van der graff generator at school physics lessons! Probably not a good idea to go prodding with bare fingers at this time.Turn engine off and turn lights on before investigating further...

You may just need to tighten the connector nut on the top of the spark plug and push the coil pack firmly back on. When mine worked free it was carbonned up inside the connector so used some wet and dry paper to clean up though eventually fitted a new coil pack as there was some ongoing intermittent shorting

Jamie

Quoting batteredoldsupersport: 
Doing it by hand means that you won't cross thread things and knacker the threads which could be VERY expensive.

A tip to avoid cross-threading: when offering up the spark plug (or bolt or other threaded item) to be installed, turn it the wrong way, anti-clockwise, until you feel the first thread "drop" into place. Then turn clockwise to install as normal. If you always do this, you will likely never again cross-thread a fastener.

Sorry, but I have to take issue with a couple of points on here.

If they are new plugs, you will have to give them more than 1/8 of a turn, as you'll be compressing the new sealing washers for the first time, and if you do as stated, they will come loose.

Again, if they are new, you will have to check the gap. I recently bought 4 new supersport plugs, and they were all too close!

Nigel.

Edited by - ozzy on 5 May 2011 17:35:07

I have screwed in the coil pack but when I pulled one HT plug out, I noticed it was covered in "mayonaise/white deposit" down the well and a bit of oil on the top of the engine. The deposit seems to have been there a while. The other plugs seemed fine and there is no deposits in the oil filler cap. Any ideas? 🙆🏻

It has had a new head gasket some time ago...

Edited by - Drifter on 6 May 2011 23:20:29

cheers guys-the oil is at the top of the engine/plug hole and does not seem to have gone into the hole. I will take the leads out and clean off all the dry white residue with a damp rag and screwdriver and keep an eye on it..as it is only one cylinder,the nearest the oil filler cap, i will not get too worried just yet!! 😬

Edited by - Drifter on 7 May 2011 14:43:44