Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper Wiring

michaelw

I have had a look on here and the rest of the net and can't find a definitive answer on how the wipers on my 7 should be wired up. The wipers work fine but don’t park on their own – very irritating on track days particularly. I don't have a plug to the wipers but spade connectors directly onto the male pins of the socket on the wiper motor. I also have a bespoke (bodged) wiring loom with metal toggle switches which I don’t think are from Caterham. The wiper toggle switch has 3 pins, an input from the battery and a slow and fast output.

The wiper motor has 5 male terminals and I have assumed that with the pin at 90 degrees to the other 4 at the top is numbered 1, then left to right and down as 2, 3, 4 and 5 being bottom right.

The earth is attached to 1, slow from the switch is 2 and fast is 4. The other 2 have nothing attached to them. I have seen diagrams on the net saying that 3 and 5 should be live and “Park Switch” (I can’t remember which way around) but I assumed the park switch was an integral part of the motor. I have tried applying a current to each of the 2 spare pins in turn in a vain attempt to get them to park but the wipers didn't move and I am loathe to connect a wire permanently for fear of damaging something.

I am very confused, any help or a point in the direction would be much appreciated and save me having to look past the wiper as I am trying to collect a slide at somewhere in appropriate as always seems to happen on wet track days *eek*

Michael.

Michael

There are 5 wires.

Orange: Ignition live.

Orange/Green: Live when wipers and not parked.

Orange/Blue: Slow wipe and also used to park.

Orange/Black: Fast wipe.

Black: Negative

The Orange/Green is live only the wipers are not at the parked position and this live comes from a switch within the wiper unit it self.

How it works:

So, If the wipers are not in the parked position there is a live to the orange/green. This is connected to the orange/blue via the wiper switch on the dash but only when the switch is in the OFF position. When the wipers reach the parked position the live is switched off to the Orange/Green by the switch within the wiper motor unit hence it stopping in the parked position.

This is from memory so there is chance I might be wrong with the colours but I did spend a few nights on this recently so it is still etched on my brain to a degree.

If yours don't park I would stick a bulb on the Orange/green and run the wipers, if the bulb flashes then the wiper unit is ok and the switch might be at fault.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 4 May 2011 15:26:08

Jason,

Thanks very much for the quick and accurate description, it was very helpful. I am pretty sure the problem is that my switch only has 3 pins so I can't connect the last 2 wires - I suspect that is why it is wired up like that. It also sounds like I can't do anything clever with what I have got if the switch has a feed when the motor provides one when it is not parked and it is in the off position - I will get a new switch.

Many thanks again,

Michael.

Michael

well that makes perfect sense given that you only have three wires. I guess your switch is for a two speed wiper that does not have a park function. On your new switch there will be two contacts that are connected only when the switch is off and these are the contacts your two spare wires connect to.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 5 May 2011 09:31:40

Jason,

Yes sorry i probably didn't make that clear but your response cleared it up for me so thanks again.

Next problem, I can't find a metal toggle wiper switch to go with the rest of the dashboard ☹️ But I did find this here which seems to get around the problem so I will try it with a fire extinguisher on hand 😳

Michael.

You will need a 25Amp switch, a 10Amp is not up to the job, it will work for about 30min and then other can't stop or can't be switched on.

I run a toggle switch ( 3 pin ) and it does auto park, i did sacrifice the fast speed for a interval wipe ( box from a Ford )