Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rubber bit on speedo button

GPBox

Mine is the same but the lower half of the rubber button is behind the speedo glass and I can't get anything to grip on it to pull it back out and I don't want to risk breaking the speedo glass. Are yours the same or have you managed to get the remaining rubber back off the trip reset button? I have tried long nose pliers without success.

Resent my mail and had a quick response *thumbup*

They're going to send me a replacement button as a trial - it's not something they normally offer as a service part, but if it works, then hopefully they will provide a solution.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Well, it can be done *smile*

It's not easy though...

I started by removing the speedo from the car. This is very simple to do - remove steering wheel, reach behind dash and pull the connector off the speedo (hold the connector, not the wires!), undo the two knurled nuts and sprung washers holding the clamping plate and then ease the speedo forward through the dash.

At first, as the glass is captive (the bezel is not removable without damaging it), I couldn't see a a way of getting the broken rubber button out without risking either breaking the glass or leaving some of the rubber behind. As you can see, the rubber button has quite a large collar on it which site at the rear of the glass - I tried tweezers and jeweller's screwdrivers, but I just couldn't free the collar. Even being gentle, I did splinter the glass a little (luckily the glass didn't crack).

However, I then developed Special Tool #1, cunningly formed from a paper clip (ours are vinyl coated, but if you can't run to those, I suspect normal ones would work fine *tongue*) This enabled me to dig in between the glass and the brass actuator pin (this presses on a microswitch inside the speedo to reset the trip) and hook the old rubber cover out.

If you do take the brass pin out (mine was a little bit bent - I suspect I must have done this at some point), note that there is a small spring that sits at it's base *idea*.

Fitting the new rubber is straightforward using Special Tool #2 - a slightly modified version of the first tool without the hook end - this was used to ease the collar through the glass. A quick twist of the rubber then got everything seated correctly.

Job done!

Caerbont have asked me for some feedback on how easy (or not) it is to replace the button, which I'll do tomorrow. No guarantee that they will offer the button as a service part, but I'll try and persuade them. I suspect you will have to do this at your own risk though - I managed to splinter the glass and put a small scratch in the bezel, though neither will be visible once the speedo is back in the car.

Here's the complete album *thumbup*

Forgot to mention, it was almost a complete non-starter. Having cleared the lawn of dog and chicken poo this morning, I went to dump it in the wheelie bin, only to see two Jiffy bags in there: One had a brand new set of carbon brushes for the washing machine in it, and the other had the speedo button in it *rolleyes* Apparently SWMBO had checked both envelopes and they were empty

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 8 May 2011 16:00:52

7HS, thanks for the instructions, & for trying to get back to the supplier.

But your bespoke tool-making has lead me to wonder if doing something like cutting off the end of a pencil eraser, making a small hole in it, and sticking that on the odometer reset pin might be an answer. Need to think carefully about the colour of the eraser *biggrin*