Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticker removal risks

speakmp

Morning all,

I'm off to Le Mans this year and planning to sticker up a bit. They will be supplied by hollographics, applied on top of a fresh coat of wax, and when removed it'll be done carefully using the aid of a hair dryer.

Do I need to be concerned about paint lift/peeling?

The car is a 2006 with factory paint plus the usual stone chips etc.

Thanks in advance

PeteSV

In the past I've applied a thin coat of Vaseline to the paint before putting on the sticker which has helped removal. Never quite understood how the sticker 'sticks' with it on but they do. It makes a bit of a mess and has to be cleaned off and re-polished afterwards. Unless you want to leave them on its best to get them off reasonably quickly otherwise they get a lot harder, and riskier, to remove. A bit of judicious heat certainly helps as it softens the label as well as the glue. Another tip is to pull off the sticker along the direction of the panel rather than perpendicular or at an angle to it, so you're not trying to pull the paint off as well as the sticker. Having done all of the above I've still had paint come off ☹️

Würth do a rubber-like disc for using on a hand drill which can remove anything without removing the paint.

I have used them for removing the adhesive that is used for sticking numberplates on, for removing the adhesive from wheel balancing weights and for stickers. DO NOT use it if an item has been sprayed with a can though. Then the paint will be removed!

Another useful tip in addition to those above. If applying stickers that are round/square and form a reasonably large area don't remove all of the backing paper just trim a 5mm band around the edge so that the sticker is held on by just its edges IYSWIM. This makes removal very easy

I was told to put stickers on using a weak mixture of washing up liquid in water. The sticker remains moveable until you've got the positioning just right. When it dries the sticker won't move but removal should be fine too.

Just don't drive the car until throughly dry though (learned that from hard experience ☹️

Andy

sticker up a bit

I hate stickers on cars - Its akin to walking down the road with a radio pressed to your ear

But - I understand each to his own

The only time to put stickers on it would be ..... IF you are being paid to do it and just for a short while *thumbup*

OR for your business and you are using the car as a HUGE tax relief exercise, I like this reason the most *thumbup*

*wavey*

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments and experiences so far. I have emailed Dan at Hollographics and asked him to put our order on hold for the moment. Top Bloke.

Aeroscreens, really like that idea. *thumbup*

Paul & Ric - eeek. *eek*

Billy Boy - me too, usually, never have any stickers on the seven or the tin tops, inc windows. However, just a bit of le mans boys fun for the one trip 😬

Anyone else with ideas / experience good or bad it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks again, PeteSV

I've had umpteen variations of graphics and stripes on mine over a period of 6 years all supplied by Dan at Holographics. All have come off without leaving a trace ( in fact the bits that have been covered in sticky vinyl are the best bits of paintwork on the car)

Polish the car first, then apply as per Dans instructions ie soapy water and remove with a hair dryer / hot air gun then use meths on any residue. One set of graphics was on the car for 3 or more years, came off easily and hasn't left a trace.

Say hi to Dan for me.

• Area Representative

Hi Pete,

I can imaging your car all stickered up now like something ready for the Gumball rally with you and Steve wearing funny outfits.... 😳 😬

For the stickers, I would polish the area properly and then apply some more polish, let it dry and then apply my stickers over the polish. You can wipe the surplus from around the sticker and I've not had any problems when removing sprint numbers *thumbup*

HTH

Nick

Just taken stickers off a 04/05 Roadsport last week, to put it back on the road. *smile*

No probs with hairdryer on anything. However found out what happens if hairdryer not used *nono*, one Avon sticker on front wing came away with laquer *redface*. Hey Ho, respray during the winter. *biggrin*