Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Running on 2 cylinders Now 4!

Grubbster

Just reinstalled engine following a rebuild and fired it up - runs on 2 cylinders with a lot of popping and banging back through the intake! K series EU2 (but with coil packs modification) on TB's with Emerald. Rear 2 cylinders are firing but the front 2 aren't doing a lot. Used to run fine so I suspect I've connected something up wrong *rolleyes*

Packed it away now, will have a play next weekend, hopefully it will be something silly.

Edited by - grubbster on 28 Apr 2011 20:58:54

OK, I couldn't leave it alone so just been back for a look. Pretty sure the HT leads are on correctly, and I tested and got sparks OK, and it seems fuel is getting through. Assuming number 1 is at the front of the engine - I am getting a lot of popping and banging from number 2 - bright flashes at the trumpet! Numbers 3 and 4 primaries get hot but not 1 and 2. If I rev it a bit then it seems to work and all primaries get hot - could it be something as daft as needing to reset the throttle pot? Means I need to rig up a laptop but I think I need to try this next.

Given that there are flashes at the trumpets, all your injectors are providing fuel. My money is on a spark problem. In the wasted spark system what are the pairings, I have a feeling at the back of my mind that it's 1&4 and 2&3. If you had paired them incorrectly, you might get the symptoms you're talking about, but (if I'm right about the pairings) then it can't be a coil failure. I see why Oily is suggesting a TB problem - as they're paired 1&2 and 3&4.

Actually, thinking back, when I attached the throttle cable I thought there was play in the link between the left and right pair of TBs - this could be it Never really thought much about it at the time - too busy fiddling with the throttle linkage *redface*

Fixed! It was to do with the balance between the 2 pairs of TBs as Oily suggested (I never doubted it of course 😶‍🌫️).

The throttle cable attaches to a lever on the rear pair and this in turn pushes against a lever on the front pair to open them when the throttle is opened. On inspection I noticed that the pairs of butterflies weren't aligned. I cant see how anything could have moved (I simply unbolted them as a set of 4 and bolted them back on again *confused*) but the front 2 were open a crack when the rear 2 were closed. So I have adjusted the allen screw on the linkage to get the butterflies aligned and it fires up and runs *biggrin* I'll now need to get them properly balanced of course but so happy that it was an easy fix *thumbup*

I wonder what could have moved though *confused* It took quite a bit of adjustment, maybe 1/8"

They are QED which I think are the same? Just had another look and yes I can see the spring clip is not in place correctly, so that is why it was wrong - so pleased to have a reason for the problem and not just the solution! Refitted it correctly and now it is fine, but I'll get it properly balanced and checked just in case.

Thanks for all your help *biggrin*

Edited by - Grubbster on 29 Apr 2011 11:23:19