Click here if you are having website access problems ×

vibrations and rattles 2

redlight

Many thanks for all the comments on vibrations and rattles 1. Let me ask the question in a different way. What have you found under the dash area that vibrates at about 2500 revs? This is LOUD and needs to be found. It is not obvious or I would have found it, I have had 2 Caterhams before this so am aware of general noise when driving. Looking forward to helpful replies.

I've had a situation where the knurled nuts which tighten the gauges behind the dash sometimes come loose, causing the tensioned plate which spans the rear of the gauge itself to vibrate. They really didn't need to be very loose at all for this happen.

Pierson

Is the screen washer bottle fixed to the pax footwell end plate with rivets ? They can work loose and the rattle can sound like its coming from under the dash. To fix, drill out the rivets and replace with bolts / nylocs and large flat washers to spread the load.

Other than that, many things seem to be prone to rattling at 2500 - 3000rpm. It seems to be a particularly resonant frequency. It might be the frequency at which the inherent vibration in a 4-cylinder in-line engine is at its peak.

Other specific things I can think of to check: to check: bonnet is tight and not touching engine, heater not loose, pipes, wires etc not free to vibrate.

Angus

Angus