Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff Service

jakeandlizzy

My diff needs tightening (ZF LSD) as the clutch plates let loose at less torque then I would like. It is not a major problem now, but it is annoying here and there (especially before it has warmed up) when I want to get sideways out of a traffic light or entering into a roundabout.

I live in Cambridge, but can travel reasonable far for the service, but, as the Caterham is my only ride besides a motorcycle, I need to take it someone with skills who can also remove it from my car onsite.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yep, worked with Dave a lot and always pretty good (he has fixed suspension/sprayed the car/checked my diff before/replaced lots of bits/etc.)-- but I wanted to share the wealth a bit this time and to check out a new garage for comparison! It may be the case that I go straight back to Dave after that, but I like to shop around! ...and not for handbags...

I have visions of you riding the bike to a maintainer with the weight of a diff on the handlebars, or in a backpack

More real than you think ... last time I had to driveshafts attached to the back! I could handle the diff in a back-pack -- that would be my next option!

I just notice one wheel spinning up more than I am used to. I have put about 18k on this diff and I push it often.

The grinding sound of the clutches slipping when say making a u-turn has also diminished and if I hit the throttle at full lock I sometimes do not get both wheels to spin immediately like I want. I know the clutches do not last forever!

As for the hot/cold comment, the difference is only slight, but I think real.