Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing tyres - rears only?

LawrenceR

POBC

I have a new set of 048's 185 mm softs for the front and med 205 mm for the rear which I am yet to fit.

On the car at the moment I have fully worn 888 on the rear and soft 48's on the front with about 4 mm. I don't know how old either are.

Should I fit the rears only or replace both? (I think I know the answer but it seems a shame to throw away tyres with tread on)

I am at a track day next tuesday with the aim of reducing understeer by replacing my green FARB with a blue one.

Thanks Thumbs

Edited by - Thumbs on 20 Apr 2011 16:59:32

just replace the rears. Make sure you run them in a bit before really letting loose otherwise they'll shred more quickly. If you really don't like them you can always change the fronts later. Like Matt, I usually end up replacing the rears twice as often as the fronts, irrespective of brand of tyre.

I'd just change the rears. If you are doing a TD then you can expect to remove at least 1mm on the fronts, they wear fast. If you use it regularly this summer then it won't be long until you are on 2mm and it's change time.

I have flogged old 032s on here for loose change to racers looking for cheap tyres for practice.

Thanks for the advice

I will check the age of the fronts and keep them on if less than 5 years old.

Humm Now I have hypothetically saved the ~£170 from not replacing the fronts I wonder what goodies I can spend it on 🤔 😬

Thumbs

Drive with care

Changing tyres changes the grip

so depending on how experienced you are on track or how hard you push then changing tyres will affect the grip levels and as such the balance of the car

so drive with initial care to feel the balance

Thanks A10,

I have done 10 ish track days, only one in the caterham. It suffered from quite a lot of understeer, so am going to play with the balance. Adjusting rake as well as both arbs. I hope it is sill in one piece at the end of the day.

The size of your rear tyre should be related to the power of your engine

The balance of the car can be changed by rake, arb, geometry and don't forget tyre pressure etc

Remember change one thing at a time if your want to know what is making the change

Also, some understeer issues can be related to carrying too much speed into the corner, exist speed is more critical than entry speed *wink*

I have 220 bhp in my car and run 185s all round. It balances better. I really didn't like 185 on the front and 205 on the rear. No I am not sideways all the time either.

The thinner front ARB will help - it did on mine. You may need to adjust the rear one too..