Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BJ Trailer maintenance

Fishy Dave

Check tyres for cracks/bulges and adjust pressure, check brakes for actuation (so not stuck on or off), check wheel bearings and adjust if necessary, lubricate everything that should move.. always chock the trailer when left for more than a day, never leave the handbrake on for long periods as the brake shoes can corrode to the drums and make an awful racket when you finally break them free *eek* 😳 *rolleyes* 😬

ETA : this can happen even ifyou don't leave the brakes on and the best way to release them is to reverse if possible rather than try and drag the trailer forwards - especially if the car isn't on board...

oh and at the beginning of each year I found it worth taking the light lenses off and just cleaning the bottom of each bulb to make sure they made good contact as they do get furred up with oxidation over the winter

Edited by - peterg on 19 Apr 2011 09:32:56

I kinda treat mine like a car but with no engine. 😬 Check tyre pressures, wheel nut torques, general spanner check (especially the spare as that was about to drop off on the motorway at one point), grease up jockey wheel and brake bar thingies, check the electrics work, adjust the brakes as indicated in the destruction manual and try to clean it every now and again.

I've never taken the drums off though. Maybe I should?

I'm sure the Brian James website used to have instructions on how to adjust the brakes, but I can't seem to find it any more! My Minno is from around 2001. If you've not got the instructions by the evening time, I can scan it and email for you if you like. *smile*

I had the jockey wheel wound right down to lift the trailer wheels off the ground, but, like a complete spanner, forgot about it one winter and now I have a deformed jockey wheel. ☹️ I use axle stands now to prop it all up. *smile*

You need to remove the wheels (if you can) and hit the brake drums with a large hammer. That was the official advice from BJ after I'd left my brake on for several weeks.

Can't say I've ever noticed my tyres getting deformed after leaving the trailer outside without any special attention over several winters. I think people worry too much.

People do worry too much. Brakes are easy enough to free off, heat helps if a bit of tapping won't free them off. A mate had this over the winter, he rang me for advice and on my suggestion he removed the wheel and set up a camping stove under the drum while he went to make a brew. After finishing his drink he gave it a few taps and the job was done. You are unlikely to damage a brake by getting it warm after all. *smile*

Before you do all of that, check the cables to the wheels have actually retracted enough to release the brakes, as that's what stops mine from moving.

Cloncking the face of the drum works as well - means you don't have to get the wheel off.

Bri

I would definitely recommend that you adjust the drum brakes via the normal adjuster on the back plate. They take a surprising amount of adjustment after a couple of years use. I wouldn't recommend that you play with the brake rods as its a tricky job to get them spot on.

You think you have problems! My Minno Max handbrake was left off for the winter and as a result there are no problems with the trailer brakes. Much more of a problem was having to winch the car off the trailer with a comprehensively locked rear O/S wheel. Credit to Brian James. The non slip surface on the ramps made the exercise just that - a lot of exercise. 😬 😬