Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 Speed box

Red Seven

Hi all,

I'm a Tech Talk virgin, since I don't understand techtalk, so responses please in idiot proof terms!

I am contemplating buying a 1.8K with a 6 speed box. After 22,000 miles, should I expect gearbox problems, how much is a rebuild, and are rebuilds generally a path to perfection?

The car is a 97 build, so presumably an early six-speeder.

All thoughts appreciated

Jeff

If it's a std. 1800 the box will be very unstressed and shouldn't cause you grief with 22k on the clock.

A rebuild will depend what bits need replacing. If you need pretty much everything then it's uneconomical to rebuild it.

However, I believe the usual stuff that needs attention is selector forks and perhaps 5th gear.

Mine knackered up last year and Phil Stewart (Road Race Transmissions) rebuilt it for me. Cost 750GBP. I was told by people with less expertise of the box that I would need a new one (2200GBP or so).

If you want to know anything about the 6spd, talk to Phi (search the archives for his no.).

The only thing you should really pay good attention to is the oil being used (search the archives again) and to warm it through before caning it.

5th gear is now sorted on all cars. It was a known weakness in early 6 speed boxes. Generally you shouldn't expect any problems at all, but sometimes the selector forks are a problem and if you have a particularly powerful engine (220bhp or more) then you just have to stay off the kerbs when on track. 2nd gear failed rather spectacularly recently on one example.

There are a few upgrades and modifications that are possible, but you shouldn't worry about those yet. Pay particular attention to what gearbox oil you use. Do not use a full synth oil. Use a pretty standard EP80 that you can find at Halfords.

It's the best gearbox you can buy for the money. It's light too.

I have a 1997 6 speed that has done 22,ooo miles and I certainly don't expect to be getting any re-builds done - Should I have said that?

It has run from start with fully sythetic Red Line oil. Nigel you should not believe these simplistic labels for anything as complex as oil formulaions. The term refers to the base stock of the oil, in the case of fully synthetic it comes from Ethylene but it is the additives that make the difference and specifically the viscosity modifiers that make the synchro rings work.

Not wishing to stir up old threads again , Phil Stewart recomended the use of Redline MTL in the 6 speeder . He knows the box inside out - literally !! .

An upgrade / service from phill to the new spec gears , selectors etc etc during the winter on my box restored it to better than new .

Some early boxes are prone to problems , upgrades have been made throughout the 4/5 years the box has been in production . I would give Phill a ring if you have any questions / doubts - a mine of information and expertise on these boxes .

I have no connection with Road and Race Transmissions , other than having a great gearbox teeth.gif

dave

I can only confirm the above. Phil did a good job in rebuilding mine after 6,000 miles of track use with 240bhp. It was an early box so some simple mods to the breathing/galleries, some improved parts (even though they had not gone as such) and a new 5th sorted it nicely. About 750 quid.

Mine's a '95 car and had box 39 I think.

No doubt Chris Clark will confirm the true number as he was hammering it off the casing with a mallet when Phil was doing a 'captain chaos' on mine.

In fact the only negative thing about RRT is that they let CC wander around with tools in his hands.

my box has done 35k miles (although was rebuilt with a nre gear and shaft at 12k as the previous owner was a bit of an idiot and let it run dry...) and is currently ar road and race. It was working fine but since it was going to be out the car for a while i tyhought i'd get it checked. I'll report back on what they find...

the basic rebuild cost is 100 quid plus 15 quid per syncho i think. selectors are more expensive, from memory at the 12k rebuild it was 150 for a gear or shaft.

Dave Hooper - dmch2@lineone.net

Andy M.

How d'ya think you got away with such a non-expensive rebuild? It's 'cos I did all my work for free. You try and help someone & this is how they repay you!!!

Yours is an early box. Mine is too (serial 112). Not a problem other than a slight oil weep (can't call it a leak) which stops the rear chassis parts rusting.

i gave the rebuild costs. the transports costs are separate! smile.gif

Unfortunately Chris doesn't accept my usual beer payment! smile.gifsmile.gif

ah - i didn't think to look for a serial number. What number is it? What age does tha make it?

The weep really is tiny - I can only think of about half a dozen drips its left in garages / drive ways since I've had it.

Dave Hooper - dmch2@lineone.net