Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lewis v Tyson

SJ

As there are 5 of you still up at this time of the morning, can I presume that at least 1 of you is braving it out for 4.15am and the big fight?

If so, who's ya money on?

If not, then I'm the saddest bloke in the country!!!

Let's get rrrreaadddy tooooo ruuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmbbbbbbbblllleee!!!

There, that proves it beyond doubt

Cheers

Steve

PS: My cash is on the canadian bloke, Psycho to come out all guns, but Lenor Lewis to ride the storm and stop the nutter in 8!!!!

Errrr.........Hello?

There are still 2 of you there, why are you ignoring me??

Quite probably coz you think boxing's crap? Most people seem to, but not me, oh no!

I love being up so late (early?) talking to myself, I'm perfectly sane you know! I have a certificate to prove it!

Oh Oh, the men in white coats have arrived, I'll be off in the van now to the lovely hotel with the comfy walls!!

Bored, bored, bored! When will this bloody fight start?

Thanks for all your input people, nice to know you all care so much!!!

Going now....bye......tara.....see ya!

Cheers

Steve

Morning Steve, I`m going to be around for most of the night so I`ll probably listen to it on the radio in my head. By the way I don't think Lennox would like you calling him Lenor.My money is on Lennox but you can never second guess what a nutter is going to do.

One fall, two submissions or a lovebite.

Deeps smile.gif

Deep down you know it makes sense.idea.gif

Hurrah!!

Thanx Deeps, you've restored my faith in humanity!!

Obviously wouldn't call him Lenor to his face! I may appear to be stupid, but even I have my limits! Fortunately the big puff is a few thousand miles away, and unlikely to read this site, so I feel fairly safe! (No doubt, Lennox Lewis, Novice will now appear sometime later this am! - don't care coz I'll be asleep!)

As for that big wimpish tosser, Mr Tie Wrap, bloody pansy!!

Blimey I'm brave!

Enjoy the fight!

Cheers

Steve

Much respec' Mr Lewis!!

That last punch was an absolute gem! Tiewrap was completely outclassed!!

Great fight, Lewis was awesome!

Great prediction by me dontcha think?

I've got jet-lag! Very very tired now - I've had a tough fight!

Tyson wants a re-match! Daft b*stard!

Good night fight fans!

Cheers

Steve

What a pity Lennox's achievements will largely go unnoticed to most Brits. Compare what he has done to Cooper or Bruno, yet both are living legends. Too many of Lewis' fights have been played out on restricted access TV. It may have made him rich, but most of us have never seen his classic fights. They won't even release short highlights for showing on news reports - only stills.

Brilliant fight and maybe one of the best we will ever see from Lewis.

He will go down in the history books now.

As for pay per view, true boxing fans will pay to see it. Boxing has a low fan base anyway in the UK. However I went to the Ricky Hatton fight last week and there were 15,000 people in the MEN arena - I have never seen it that full, its definatly on the up, esp when towns have such good local fighters.

Simon.

X777CAT

Footage is now being shown on terrestrial TV news. It looks like it was being witheld until the re-run of the fight scheduled for 10.00 a.m. this morning had been screened. Mind you, they were still charging £12.99 for the priviledge for watching the re-run.

I would love to know the true viewing figures for these pay-per-view events. I reckon they cannot exceed a few tens of thousands. What type of UK audience would this fight have received if it had been on terrestrial TV? Even at 4.00 a.m. I think it would have been in the region of 2 to 3 million. Does anyone know the viewing figures for the great Ali - Foreman and Ali- Frazier fights in 1973/74?

One of the reasons why boxing has now got a low fan base in the UK is BECAUSE it has gradually disappeared off mainstream TV. If viewers are given "free" access to a sport, whole new audiences can be generated. My opinion is that the gradual migration of boxing to restricted access TV has effectively killed its popularity in Britain. As a result, Britain's current boxing heroes, Lewis and Hamed, will never achieve the fame and status in the public's mind granted to people like Bruno and Cooper.

Edited by - Eric McLoughlin on 9 Jun 2002 12:57:01

Edited by - eric mcloughlin on 9 Jun 2002 12:57:42

Lewis will now be regarded as one of the greatest ever. Messrs Cooper and Bruno can't touch him with a barge pole. Why is it we embrace defeat and failure so readily in this country? Neither have achieved anything compared to Lewis, yet the Brits still adore Cooper and Bruno, and most will be unaware of (or ignore more like) Lewis' status as one of the greatest all-time heavyweights the world has seen.

I've now watched the fight 3 times (like to get vfm, me!!) and the boy destroyed Tyson. I was surprised he lasted so long. He is a shadow of his former self, albeit an extremely dangerous one. LL's tactics were spot on.

It's unfortunate that the masses weren't able to watch the fight this morning, but as with everything, TV money rules. The lack of support for boxing is partially due to the lack of the quality on BBC/ITV, but the coverage on Sky is far better than anything the Beeb can offer (as it is with most of their sports coverage.)

The Beeb don't help themselves by spending 7 figure sums following that useless Ordinary Harrison. I've seen more talent outsidse the pub on a Saturday night! If Tyson wants a fight he could win, may I suggest Mr H, he's crap.

Simon, I too was at the Arena last Saturday, and for his previous fight. The atmosphere at both was amazing and there was also some good undercard stuff on. Roll on the next one! Ricky Hatton, for those who don't know will be the next big thing in English boxing. Pound for pound he must be one of the hardest hitters in the world, and he's about 10 stone wet thru!! A number of his previous opponents have departed the ring with broken ribs and have been p*ssing blood for days after. Some of his punches make the crowd wince, so God knows what his opponents feel.

IMHO, as an event, you can't beat a big fight night for atmosphere or excitement. I've been to hundreds of footy and rugby matches and they pale into insignificance compared to a night at the Arena for example.

I would recommeend it to anyone.

Cheers

Steve

The Beeb signed Lewis just before his first fight with Rahman...then he lost and Don King and HBO got in on the act....

....and why isn't Lewis held in the same regard as Bruno or Cooper?....same reason as why Rusedski isn't up there with Henman...

Edited by - mark piper on 9 Jun 2002 15:42:37

Sounds like THE real fights have been forgotten. One boxer beating another up is not what it's about. Watch the Ali Frazier fights, where their greatness is obvious and not subject to money or hype.

Steve B

Your words Noger, from the thread "F1 Tedium" a while back.............

"SJ, if you find people complaining about F1 so annoying, then don't read the posts ! I find posts about WWII aircraft boring, so I don't read them."

Likewise, if you don't like boxing............don't read the thread........??

As it happens, if two people want to get in a ring and batter ten shades of sh*t out of each other, get royally paid for it and provide me and many others with a few minutes of entertainment, what exactly is the problem? I'd rather they did it in a controlled, supervised environment than after the pub on Sat night or in some bareknuckle "underground" fight.

Big Brother is vacuous sh*te (IMHO), the World cup is great (IMHO) So there........

Whilst I enjoy reading everyone's opinion on everything on this site (not that I agree with all of it) and all opinions are welcome, perhaps we all should allow everyone to offer their opinion without being subject to inane (and not mention a touch hypocritical) criticism???? Just a thought.............

Boxing is a very very skillful sport which requires immense ability and fitness. If I gave the impression that I like it for the blood and guts, I gave the wrong impression. My comments about Hatton's punching power, were just that - he's awesome. The mention of the damage done is purely an illustration of his power. It's difficult to quantify otherwise.

SJWB, I don't know if you saw the fight, but Lewis' performance was a work of art. That it involved battering Tyson into a bloody mess was merely a by-product of his ability. I agree, the sport lacks the style and finesse of previous years, because it's purely based on money these days, bottom line I'm sorry to say, but all sport has gone that way. Lewis' performance last night was based on brilliant tactics and superb punching and I think, in time, it will be regarded by those who really know and understand the sport (ie not me!!!) as one of the best ever.

'Tis a sport, you're right and a bloody good one at that.

I'll be off to a darkened room for a lie down now....

Cheers

Steve

Anybody got a copy I could borrow??? I was on a flight at the time of the fight and really really wanted to see it. I've only got terrestrial TV so I can't even watch the replays.

Thanks

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Was not in fact commenting on the boxing, which I enjoy, but on the slighty strange attitudes in these parts. I would have thought there would have been more of an outcry. I am just puzzled that the moral majority feel that big brother is more of an evil than boxing (I am sure you know, SJ, that boxing is not exactly loved by the pinko's).

SJ - I got my tickets from the Farnell camp, the seats we got put us basically in the middle of the MEN, we had the English on one side chanting at the Irish on the other side - a good laugh, got a bit sick of hearing Manchester la la la though!

Farnell was robbed, IMHO he won it by 2 points, but the judges were not for him, and Gomez was not on form, dont know what was wrong with him. No trouble afterwards which is nice to see.

Hatton will go a long way.

Simon.

X777CAT

Noger, soz, I guess I got the wrong end of the stick! The amazing thing to me is that people have an opinion on the likes of "Big Brother" at all!

Simon - Good job Mr H won, after Farnell losing one or two were getting twitchy, Had RH lost, I would have been outa there faster than a Lewis right hook! Great night though.

Cheers

Steve

It would not be the first time I have seen that happen! Magee looked very strong for the first few rounds, he could have had him a couple of times.

Its just a shame Hatton will not be able to challenge Kostya Tszyu world light-welterweight title until 2003.

Billy Graham will be training him hard for the next 8 months! (Ricky got a telling off by billy after the fight so I hear...)

X777CAT