Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tips for replacing gaiter

irrotational

Ive read a few threads on here about replcaing the gaiters on the driveshafts.

Im trying to stretch my shiny new gaiter over the fitting cone and I cant even get it on the end let alone fully down! 😳

Editied to say I have liberally applied silicone lube 😳 *redface* 😬

Any tips/tricks or just plain common sense advice?

Cheers

Andy

---

my mind is blank....

Edited by - irrotational on 12 Jul 2008 18:37:25

Edited by - irrotational on 12 Jul 2008 18:38:04

Normal de Dion shaft??? Try taking the drive shaft apart. The three legged drive member is held in place with circlips. The gaiter can the be easily slipped into place and then the shaft reassembled. Shouldn't be necessary to stretch anything much.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I assume you are using a Bailcast boot? If a standard boot then you will never get it up the cone no matter how much lube you apply... *tongue*

If splitting the joint then you need to tape up the needle bearings with a lot of duck tape so they don't fly apart when you hammer and chisel off the knuckle (grind the cold chisel to a flat edge so you don't cut in the knuckle steel). These are on pretty well so expect a fight if you only have DIY garage equipment...

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 12 Jul 2008 19:06:07

Put the boot in a bucket of very hot water (just under boiling) for 5-10 minutes before trying to fit it over the cone. It softens the rubber so it is stretchy. Done that many times with other cars, works a treat especially if you put plenty of grease on the cone and boot. Don't forget to do it with the boot inside out!

Simon

niknak.org

cool thanks for replies so far *thumbup* :-

6speedmanual -dont really want to take the driveshaft apart as it sounds complicated, ive read stuff about needing pullers and things like "needle bearings" "cold chisel" and knuckle just confuse me!

stevefoster - they seem to be a random make but they came as a cv boot kit and the motor factor sold me the cone for fitting so i assume they intended for use this way.

Ill try the boiling water - did think of heat but didnt know what temprature they could take...

Shad - why do they have to go on inside out!?

yes it is dedion

---

my mind is blank....

Why inside out? Bit hard to explain but try and visualise what's going on with this handy diagram:

Boot (left bracket) goes over cone/CV (second bracket):

< -<-----

Then you end up with the boot on the drive shaft past the CV joint:

-<-<----

As you can see the fat end of the boot is facing the middle of the shaft, where as you want it facing the end you're working with, so you turn it inside out:

-<->----

If you put the boot on without first turning it inside out you end up with the outside of the boot being on the inside.

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense!

Simon

niknak.org