Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series - excess vapour and emulsion

PAUL MARRIOTT

I've just replaced the cambelt and cylinder head gaskets and all has gone well except that I now seem, to my eye, to have to much water vapour from the oil filler cap I suspect that it could be

1. normal condensation

2. I didn't fully dry the head after washing it

3. I've not made the seal properly on the cam ladder

it shouldn't be the HG - it's new

Ticking over up to temp and cycling the fan in and out produced water vapour from the oil filler cap and condensation insided the cap but no emulsion (is that the correct term?). An hours run failed to clear the vapour blow off but produced some emulsion around the filler cap and traces on nthe dipstick - cleaned of after the 1st 1/2 hour and no more deposits. I've removed the head cover and gasket there is emulsion in the wire meshes held in the head cover and traces of it on the gasket but nothiong else. no indications of water deposits or leaks on the cam ladder. The oil in the engine is new but what is trapped in the cam ladder looks a bit muddy.

Any thoughts welcome.

Paul M

I don't think it's the intake the water is definately oil side.

I should also have said that the oil and water temps are stable and as expected oil pressure was good but did seem to flicker a couple of times and there are no smells or deposits in the coolant. Coolant dropped about 5mm but i think most of that would have been the system filling , air bubbles shifting out of the engine, on the 1st run.

Paul M

Paranoid is my middle name after a working on the beast and particularly as I'll be driving it down to southern Spain in a couple of weeks.

Think I'll drain the oil and recharge with some part synth and a new filter and take it for a short run to see if the issue resolves if not it looks like another new HG ☹️ still it'll just be a strip and rebuild job with no V/Vs to renew and lap in *smile*

Paul M

Paul

I'm in exactly the same position as you - had the head off (not due to failed HG) but when I put it all back together there was quite a lot of (what I assume is) steam coming from the dry sump vent pipe. Being paranoid I promptly stripped head off and checked surfaces and replaced HG - no signs of any damage to previous gasket - but had exactly the same again.

This time I decided to put a few miles on it and monitor the situation - I've done just over 100 miles so far and the coolant level doesn't appear to have dropped at all. It may be wishful thinking but I also thought there was less steam being emitted after the last run than when I first started it up. At the moment I'm going to continue to keep an eye on fluid levels.

Only other thought is blow-by - but as I'm not aware I had this problem before removing head I can't see why I'd have that problem now.

Ho hum!

Dave

I probably got more than a small amount of coolant down the bolt holes - because the engine is canted over it does hold water in the head / block - I did remove the sump drain plug to clear out any coolant from the sump after refitting the head - but the design of the dry sump pan looks like you can never fully drain the sump - so I'm guessing that may have been my problem and the coolant water is slowly evaporating out of the oil.

Dave

quick update :- got the head of last night to find that the HG is fine with no signs of damage so it would appear that the problem was contamination at some stage during the strip / rebuild process.

Reviewing the process last night the only difference to the two previous strip and rebuilds that I've carried out was that previously I've always changed the oil as the very last job, this time i had no need to change the oil as I'd only just given the beast it's spring service. It would seem that a change of oil would be good practice after head work.

So it's rebuild, with new HG, drain current oil charge, flush with cheepo part synth, recharge with the good stuff and trot of to Spain 😬

Paul M

Ouch Darren! I'd chase that for sure!

OK listen up, if you have a problem with your K engine or want work doing on it....GO AND SEE OILHANDS (AKA Dave Andrews!) I would do nothing else!

Dave, I hear John is having the work done now, I managed to persuade him to speak to his sons for it to be a birthday present! Would have been criminal not to have it done just I think he was shocked at how the cost of parts went really, he normally works on X-flows as I think he said!

Well, lesson learnt, don't try and save a few bob just do it properly.

Engine all set up oil drained, flushed, and refilled with the fully Synth and all is well.

Must say that when I've had the head off I've never noticed spillage but current experiance and your comments obviously show that to be wishful thinking ☹️.

Basic checks tonight and then of to sunny Espania.

Paul M

Paul,

Glad it is sorted..

Kev,

I have peened the fire rings on Johns head to reduce the possibility of a fire ring failure and will be working on it this week (hopefully), he has contacted me to give me the go ahead

sorry for the hijack..

Oily