Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Standard oil pressure gauge wiring ?

RichardO

I apparently lost all oil pressure at the Pembrey track day. This is with the standard caterham sensor/gauge on a 2002 1.6K. Investigations show that:

(a) the gauge is working - it goes full scale when shorted *smile*

(b) the sender seems to be working - has a finite resistance between the single terminal and ground, and that resistance changes when I start up the engine *smile*

© the signal wire at the gauge end does not seem to be connected to the wire at the sender end, and the signal wire at the sender end seems to be connected to ground *confused*

So my question is: should the signal wire connect straight through from the gauge to the sender, or is there some electronics in the way that is preventing me from buzzing the connection out?

I ask because the wire I have at the gauge end is black and white, while the one at the sender end is black and pink - implies that something chnged along the way. But this isn't shown on the wiring diagram I have - it should go straight through on the same colour. *confused*

(and before anyone suggests it: no, I don't want to fit a mechanical gauge just now!)

R

The wire should be a direct connection from sender to gauge. I know that because I used the redundant wire, when I changed to a mechanical gauge, to take a signal from an oil tank mounted temperature sender back to a changeover switch.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

That's interesting.

When I changed my pressure sender on Sunday I switched the ignition on without the wire connected at the sender end and the gauge went full scale ... I'm sure it wasn't earthing ... suggesting that full deflection depends on 12V applied with infinite resistance *confused*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Nifty; which gauge are you using? Previous threads indicate that some operate differently.

Mine definitely goes to zero when open circuit (I've previously knocked the connector off the sender by driving through long grass *nono*). It all went back to normal when I reconnected, so no gauge fault.

R

Are yours the older VDO type gauges Nifty? I don't know how they operate but maybe they do so in the way you suggest. The needle on later Caerbont Caterham branded gauges definitely won't move unless earthed through the chassis.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

The gauge wire goes through the car loom to engine loom connector.

A bit more investigation over the weekend reveals.... that I was buzzing out the wrong wire *rolleyes*

The Black & White wire was actually Brown & White when I got it into daylight.

The Brown & White runs from the back of the gauge to the engine loom connector - which was indeed where my circuit diagram ended. At the connector it changed to become Red & Yellow. Funnily enough I had a spare one of those next to the pressure sender 😳

A bit of jiggling of connectors and everything buzzed through correctly. My pressure gauge is now working as well as it ever did *cool*

Thanks for the help everyone *wavey*

R

Edited by - RichardO on 9 Jun 2008 08:47:41