Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Radiator needed..

neil.cavanagh

Neil

I use a standard rad and IIRC is was for a xflow, I will check when I get home. The tripple bypass is only really needed by the racers due to lack of airflow when getting a tow down the straights and Radtecs have been known to leak. My temperature stays rock solid at around 80 even on Saturday in that Welsh sunshine.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Neil, I have just fitted a new Radtec to replace the standard Caterham offering. It's a very nicely put together bit of kit and has sorted out all my cooling problems.

I added the upgraded fan option, took total cost to approx £300.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

Cheers Guys...

Mark is the Ford rad different to the k-series one list here? £180 inc vat.

then you have a CSR/Rover one here for £380!

Or Radtec here for £235.

Agreed that triple-pass one is not required, as I've never had overheating issues (apart from when slip-streaming big-rig whilst going across the desert approaching Vegas...).

Neil

The K series rad shown has an additional small tube in the top of the rad that you would need to blank off. Hence I have fitted the Ford rad as did Peter Trueman.

The CSR/Rover rad does not have a boss for the rad fan switch.

There have been mixed reviews on here for Radtec with a number suffering leaks that cannot be repaired.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Caterham's big ally one is listed as "not for use on the road if you have race springs" as they shake themselves to death (from experience in the 21 - they DO die if your car is v stiff setup and use it on the road - the flat mount didn't do me any good either).

Radtec made me a custom reinforced ally rad for combined track/road use and I know they do one that's a bigger if you need it (though for my power output, which isn't far off yours, the rad they've supplied is fine).

Cheers Guys!

D21.. I was wondering about the 'not race springs' comment... Ford radiator sounds like just the job.

Now I need to replace my cooling fan to as that has died. Thoughts on going for the SLR one over standard (£50 vs £80) and then is it work spending £100 to get the ECU SLR controlled fan upgrade kit? I should be able to wire that into the Emerald fairly easily.

Thanks Mark... I'll save £50 and stick with standard fan, as like you it has proved sufficient for the job up to now. Parts all orderd... so car should be back in full working condition in time for you to beat me at MIRA! 😬 😬 *wavey* *wavey*

Edited by - neil.cavanagh on 2 Jun 2008 11:35:12

My radtec leaked after 4000 miles and I'm aware of a few others in the same boat. In the end I managed to get them to supply me with a new core which I had welded in by a local company here in NI.

I wouldn't be rushing to buy another one.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here