Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slack in my steering wheel

PAUL MARRIOTT

I've got an annoying bit of slack in my steering wheel, it's not on the column but in the steering wheel boss (removeable type) and the splines on at the head of the column.

Can I just replace the boss or do I need to do the colum as well? (Hopefull hat on *wink*)

Paul M

Paul.

I've also got a little play in the splines of the QR. I don't remove it all that often & simply put PTFE tape on the splines & put the wheel back on. It's now tighter than a tight thing but still easy to get off when needed.

D.

This might seem a bit obvious but check that the 3 countersunk screws that fix the wheel on the boss are tight - when i first got my 7 it failed its MOT because these screws were not secure.

The lead dog always gets the best view.

I thought I had the same problem, but the MoT man noticed a very slight slackness in the clamp arrangement that holds the two halves of the steering column together. I'd recommend getting spanner/ allen key on the clamp fastenings and eliminate that before doing anything drastic with a "tool, fine adjusting, for the use of" *tongue*

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Have you tried just whacking a load of grease in the steering wheel boss? I did it on mine and it improved it (though you'll have to redo it every once in a while). Whether it actually reduces the slack or just means you can't feel it anymore, I don't know, but it feels OK, so ignorance is bliss!

This problem drove me bonkers.

In the end I bought a SPA design QR (actually has an 8 pin electrical connection in the middle which is brill for adding switches to your wheel but does mean you need a bit of a trick column) and this is just so much better than the lifeline or whatever they are ones.

The SPA one has no slack whatsoever. They also do a non wired one (which we've run on the Westfield for a while now) and it is also excellent.

The only downside of the SPA one is that you have to attach the slug to the column. We just machined it down a bit and made it a push fit into the column at the top then whacked a roll pin through it in a stonking press. I actually finished it off with some neat braze for good measure but this was not required as the roll pin is a proper job!