Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Airbox / cool air splitter update pics

stevefoster

here

Bit of a lash up for the 2nd half of the project - the cool air splitter as I did not have enough ali to make it out of one piece so it is a proof of concept / test rig. I perhaps need to extend it to the side more to stop air escaping round the edge but tbh I don't reckon that will have any effect - it was the cooler air from in front of the rad I was most interested in getting.

Just shows how much room there is under the nose cone.

Many thanks to Darren for the loan - purchase of the filter and air hose.

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 24 May 2008 19:00:30

*thumbup* Looking good Steve. Top stuff

Have you had a chance to get out on the road yet to evaluate it? It is amazing how much nosecone space there really is up there, and if what I'm seeing with my Apollo is anything to go by, you're not short of cool air up there even with the curvature of the nose.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Seems we have come to some similar solutions Steve 😬, even more room above the radiator with a radtec as the reservoirs are each side rather than top & bottom, i think my cowling helps with the airflow also, very simple job with some thin aly sheet. my tinkerings here

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

Kevin, now that is roomy up front... *thumbup*

I have not got enough room (the filter is quite big to make a ram jet intake cone around it. So went for the box idea.

Darren, that's good to hear as we have the same radiator.

I've not been out in it yet. Hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 25 May 2008 08:59:52

Good jobs chaps *thumbup*

This is exactly what Dave Jackson did with his big K.

Once I take stock of my airbox I shall be looking into a similar concept.

I like the way you have moved the expansion tank to the left Kev ... good thinking *thumbup* *wink*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Good work *thumbup*

Its pretty much the same as I have on my crossflow with TB's, although we went for the lower profile radiator to improve airflow over the rad and we did the flexible trunking differently. I can send anyone interested photos if you blatmail me your email address

when I did mine back in '05 I found the air temp fell further after I had lowered the radiator and cut away the rear underside of the nosecone near the filter.

pics here

I also did the same system with my supersport engine on plenhum and simply added a length of 72mm donkey dick tube from the end of the plenhum to the cold airfeed panel and added the supersport filter , I useda 3" piece of roofing gutter jointing pipe to join the filter to the donkey dick pipe *thumbup* no pics I'm afraid. But i do recall protests at the sprint meeting for "altering the induction" *rolleyes*, I took it off and still kicked his ass *smokin* 😬 *tongue*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

The Radtecs and the slopey-toppped radiator like DJ's got in his picture seem to lend themselves to the cold air-box design because their lower profile means the gap above them is increased. If I ever need to replace my Covrad, I'll opt for the Radtec because the side-reservoirs will probably help my central filter location.

Dave, when you say you cut away the rear underside of the nosecone, I'm picturing the inside lip at the top, behind the grill, have I got it right? I'd been wondering about cutting this back because it must be working like a deflector instead of allowing the airstream to move up towards the filter.

Given how much fresh air seems to be available above the rad, I'd also wondered about using a vertical plate behind the top of the radiator to force the airflow into the filter - at the moment a lot of it escapes towards the engine. I've not gone this route though because I think it's going to stifle the engine bay which is going to soak in hot air because there'll be less airflow around the engine to help heat circulate and vent.

On my trip to Goodwood and back yesterday, I've noticed my inlet temperature is now 27 degC, rising to 30/33 when sitting in traffic. Not too bad at all, given an ambient temperature of around 20.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 25 May 2008 17:13:34