Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gear nob

Gary Stone

Trying to change my gear nob. Have undone the grub screw but the nob wont budge. Have tried bashing with wood mallet as i think it is just jammed on, or does it unscrew.

Help please as want to put new nob on asap.

Cheers

Gary

R66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

It unscrews!

If it won't come off by hand and you want to avoid damaging it, it can be wrapped with leather or rubber innertube before being gripped with stilsons.

Good luck

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Hi. Well have managed to get nob off by unsrewing using rubber garden gloves for the extra grip,but it was tough going. I did try an old leather belt to protect the old nob and mole grips but that just slipped off.

New gear nob now fitted to 6 speed box.

Thanks for the advice P.

Good luck Toby.

Gary

R66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a call from a mate of mine who is fitting the Richbrook gear knob amongst a few other bits and pieces I've purchased of late( I can't do it as I have no strength in my wrist atm) and he was saying that the diameter of the gear stick shaft is about 8mm (It's 5 speed on a Roadsport sv Sigma) but the diameter in the gear knob is about 13-14mm and he's concerned that there will too much play in it?

Do the screws inside the gear knob compensate for this or is some form of packing needed. It does say in the instructions that it does fit all makes of gear lever but this does seem quite a gap to bridge.

The shaft on my Type 9 5-speed box (2002) is 11.95mm dia. I can't unscrew the collar at the bottom of the Richbrook knob to see what happens inside. If your instructions say one size fits all, then follow their guidance.

If there are grub screws that clamp on to the shaft, sounds like it will do the job.

Let us know.

7 related photos

Some accessory "nobs" come with a set of small plastic caps, the o/d of which are equal to the hole on the knob, the i/d in a range of sizes to suit different lever diameters. Without supporting the knob at two positions (eg at the grubscrews and deeper inside the knob with the cap over the end of the lever) it is highly likely to wobble or work loose even if initially tight.

The amount of repetitive wear and loading experienced should not be underestimated. Just try counting how many gearchanges you do on your next blat!!!!!

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬