Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Won't start - turning over but won't fire

db

Right I was "investigating" the hot starting problem I've been having and decided to test the voltage coming through the starter cable (from the relay to the solenoid, not the main current cable). Cable cooked and buggered. 0.1V getting through. Miracle it was starting at all.

So I have temporarily replaced it with a "hotwire" - a section of flex that is dog-clipped onto the starter terminal and can be sparked onto the positive terminal to turn the engine over.

That worked. A few times. And now the car won't start. I can turn the engine over but can't get it to fire. What could be wrong?

I have tried connecting to a set of jump leads from a running car and get the same result so I've isolated the battery as a cause. Any other thoughts? Do I need /how do I check that fuel is getting to the engine?

Car booked into James Whiting for a proper fix but need to get it going for long enough to get there ...

My ... Preciousss!

I've made sure the immobiliser is deimmobilised.

I've also checked the inertia cut-out switch as well.

I also tried bump starting the car, butno joy there -- again can get the engine turning over but not starting.

☹️

My ... Preciousss!

Sparks is easy - remove a plug and lay it on a metal part of the engine (with lead attached !) press starter with ignition on, and look for spark. Fuel - not so sure with high pressure fuel injection - it used to be easy to put a disconnected fuel line in a jam-jar and switch on the fuel pump. Wouldn't like to suggest this on an injected car !! Make sure that plug is back inside the engine too !

7 related photos

To check for fuel, take each injector out in turn and put a piece of kitchen towel underneath. Look for fuel on the towel as you turn the engine over. Make sure those spark plugs are out of the way first though *eek*

Rik Robarts - the future's bright, the future's orange here

I've found four of those but they are blue and seem to be trapped in place by the large metal thing (plenum chamber?) How do they come out?

I've noticed that I can't hear the fuel pump like I normally would expect to. Is there a more direct test to see if that is not functioning?

My ... Preciousss!

You should certainly be able to hear the fuel pump whine when you switch the ignition on !! Has been some recent threads about pumps - do a search in TechTalk. Easier to get at than the injectors !

You said the fuse was ok - how about a multimeter to check that you have 12V at the fuel pump ?

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 22 May 2008 22:32:00

Back...mounted on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat if I remember right.

You'll need to look under to see it.

It should wizz for a second or two and then stop when ignition turned on. Have you checked the inertia/crash sensor? Big black grey button thing under the bonnet, mounted on the scuttle. See if you can press it.

Willie

SM25T - are they accessible from the outside air -- ie do I just slide under the car and touch up the terminals with my voltmeter, or do I need to dig around for them in the boot?

I'd love to be able to diagnose this if I can. At least it's starting to rain.

My ... Preciousss!

Have searched the TT archives - similar problems have turned out to be the fuel pump relay working loose - it is located in the MFRU = black box next to the inertia switch - see here ... you'll find a picture of the unit with the lid off a few pages in.

Ref your question above - don't know without crawling under car - it will either be accessible from underneath, or by lifting the boot floor out. Never had to get at it yet !

7 related photos

Managed to insert my head up the backside of the car. Had a poke. Think I found the fuel tank. I now know why SV breather pipes don't leak.

It's not possible to find a terminal spot on the fuel pump on which to take a multimeter reading.

So I checked the ECU fuse - right next to the fuel pump fuse - and bugger me if it isn't blown to smithereens. Visual check, confirmed by multimeter.

The one numpty-replaceable part on the car that it might have been, and it was. I can't help wondering if there was a bit of a surge going on when I hot-wired it and that might have blown the fuse. We'll find out as the man who takes credit cards won't be able to fix it for a couple of weeks so the bit of flex will be the main starting mechanism until then.

Anyway -- off to Halfords to get myself a new fuse (and a few spares!) and then I'll see what's next...

Thanks for all the help!

My ... Preciousss!