Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Switches for the dash

TheManAlive

The car is finished and is now sitting in the garage waiting for the PBC and sva. I love everything about the car, with the one exception of the switches on the dash, which just dont do it for me.

I'm sure other people have thought the same thing and have looked to change them. So, any suggestion on suppliers? Is it easy to do ? I guess I'd need a blank dash!

Ta

They're not to everyone's taste, but the Savage Motorsport switch range is an option. They've now been included on Caterham's new model and are available at competitive prices through some eBay sellers

There are a few pictures and details of my experience with them here(if you wade past the display photos first)

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 19 May 2008 21:16:54

Darren, I like those switches. They are exactly what I am thinking of.

Is it a case of unpluggin the old and re-pluging in the new (but in the new dash of course)? Wiring is not my forte at all.

Edited by - TheManAlive on 19 May 2008 21:26:15

Ah! Wasn't sure how radical you were thinking, but I thought they were worth a mention *smile*

It probably depends which switches you're thinking of putting in. For info I did:

Starter Switch

Horn

Lights (side/dipped/main)

Foglights

Hazards

They're not a straight swap I'm afraid and do involve a fair bit of wiring. I spent about a week wielding a soldering iron and a pair of wire clippers.

Depending on how keen you are on them, it may be worth getting a local auto-electrician involved to fit them. That's going to incur a bit of a cost but you'd have peace of mind that everything's going to work properly. The last thing I'd want to do, is encourage you to start and then end up in a state where the dash is in pieces and you're wondering why you ever started! There's certainly some trickery in getting the hazards switch to work properly with the indicators and I've also gone to the effort of wiring in a dimmer control because the lights are pretty bright at night (I'm still curious to know what if anything Caterham did about this..)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure a few other people have installed these switches and they may also be able to help. I'm happy to drop you a line to explain how I fitted mine (I may not be using allthe switches you'd want to.)

Switches can be found on ebay by doing a search for 'savage switch'. I also read a post on here fairly recently about a bulk-buy of these switches. The word Savage isn't mentioned, but a search for switches will probably turn something up.

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Thanks for the answer.

The idea of lots of wiring is quite daunting, so I think i will be taking my time doing the research before diving in!

Thanks for the steer o the switches. they are what I will (one day) go for :)

I fitted the Savage switches a few year ago they work well illuminate nice and blue at night, i fitted some of RIF's toggles also, im going to illuninate them (because i cant see them at night) with some very small chav style blue led lights i got from Halfords in the Chavvy section *tongue* i also fitted some blue led's to the gauges a strait swop for the bulbs, these were from ultra leds. my dash layout here

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

I think one of the really great things about re-doing the dash, whether you're replacing the old switches or refitting the originals has to be getting to place everything exactly as *you* want it

Great photos Kevin - I keep stumbling across different bits of your galleries and always enjoy pouring over them *smile* Out of interest, do you have any drawings/dimensions for your ali radiator cowling?

Darren E

Superlight R #54

I don't, but i can measure it up and make some working drawings, i just cut some card and then made the metal from that, it is a Radtec radiator so don't think it would fit cc one. seems to work well, I'm sure the car runs colder and it keeps my intake cooler.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

Thanks for the offer Kevin but don't bother if you haven't got anything already. As you say, chances are it's unlikely to be directly compatible because the radiators are different.

I was going to do just what you've done; mock something up out of cardboard and trim it to fit, then transfer the template to aluminium. *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

• Leadership Team

Whilst we're on switches ........ does anyone know a source for the indicator buttons that are used on the new R500 steering wheel? I have one of Chris Wyles indicator kits which I've yet to fit and the new R500 setup looks very tidy.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Dave / Stu,

I'd be interested to see what they are and who makes them please?

Thanks *thumbup*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

• Leadership Team

Not really a problem that can't be solved though! My indicator box (Chris Wyles jobbie) has separate leads for the buttons running directly back to the circuit board, and is already fitted with sub-mini push switches. I'll check the current but I'm guessing for my install I'll be fine without relays anyway.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬